Oh gear heads, I need your help. Looking at camp cots here, and there is (as usual) a pretty wide range of prices, from $25 to $100+ in the campmor catalog. This isn't for backpacking so weight isn't really an issue. What are the main things to look for in a good camp cot? I'm assuming the heavier/more expensive ones are less prone to getting bent or being creaky but is that it? Does anybody have any favorites?

Hi Lisabob,

Look for sturdy, military style cots that fold down fairly small for ease of transport/storage. Eureka, Slumberjack, Coleman, and others make this type of cot normally in the $50-$100 price range. Rated capacity is about 300+ lbs., and properly cared for, they should last your troop a long time. Aluminum-frame cots are probably somewhat stronger/lighter than wood-frame cots.

Happy hunting!

Make sure the size of the cot matches the size of your tent!

Many of the fellows in our troop use the short-leg (ca. 12" above the floor), tubular aluminum-frame cots. These simply fold in half and, while not as compact as the military style mentioned by Ohio, are more affordable and are perfectly serviceable for 1-2 weeks of summer camp.

I'm using a thrift store purchased military surplus cot that is very similar to the Byer Tri-Lite.

If you don't particularly care about height off of the floor (six - eight inches), mine is great and it was $1.50. (I bought four.) It is a little heavy but if Summer camp isn't car camping I don't know what is. The military version I have also doesn't fold it is a takedown version with four STEEL side bars that assemble for each side frame and five W shaped supports that insert from underneath into the side bars - so no bar is immediately under the material to adjust your body around.

It also gives more headroom under a mosquito net, if you use the standard mil-surplus mosquito net kit. I do like to still use my camp pad - Therm-a-rest 3/4 Backpacker (from the early/mid eighties) on the cot - if you're car camping anyway make the most of it!

Most of my "experienced"(ten or more years older than me) Scouters are using something that looks like something you might use as a guest bed with a four inch mattress, aluminum frame, folds in half and has foot long legs on each corner of each half frame - if they can get it wherever we go without carrying it, it is their "camp" bed of choice. I have no idea where to get these though.

The main things are, will it support your weight, will it creak every time you move, can you position the legs if your tent is on a pallet instead of a pad?

Lisa,

I am ordering Coleman's cot & air mattress combination, since I am short, I can get by with 72" long one. Air mattress is removable and whole thing only weighs just over 10 lbs. Ordering from coleman's non-profit site (added on troop order), it cost about $45 and since troop order is well over $200 shipping is free.

Since I have arthritis in several joints from doing too many rough activities, I find a regular cot is too hard, even with a camping pad. I can deal with a pad for a night or two, but for a week, I gotta be more comfortable.

When I went to the Jamboree, I bought a SlumberJack. Nice, but cost was around 90 to 100 dollars. I have since started to go camping with my son and my grandson (not my son's boy) and I bought them cots from Wal-Mart for 30 dollars. They are like the new army cots and seem to hold up well.

David Harrison

Gonzo,

Well that was rude. Just impugn the motives and abilities of your fellow Scouters.

FYI

My presumption was that the question related to summer camp. Note that in my reply I say "but if Summer camp isn't car camping I don't know what is."

In the interest of disclosure.

I have only used a cot on a weekend campout once.

My back was out and I probably shouldn't have gone at all.

Otherwise I'm using a pad that's been on 3 continents and at many islands, and always arrives as part of my basic load, by foot, from wherever the trailhead may be.

Grump, grump, grump.

Smart-tuckus comment declined but thought really loud.

(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)

Gunny,

I know now that I came across as rude, but I didn't intend to be.

My presumption was that the question related to weekend camping as the original post had to do with non-backpacking. I would assume that the summer camp would provide a cot for summer camp use. I think it's ridiculous to use a cot for WEEKEND camping.

I could have added other smart alleck comments too.

Gonzo1

(retired soldier)

Well who'd have thought the grumps would break out here of all places. To put everyone's minds at ease (I suppose), yes this is a question about summer camp. We're going to a camp that provides platform tents but doesn't have enough cots for most of the boys. Additionally, the month prior to camp we have need for an intermittent sleeping arrangement that is portable and doesn't include the floor or couch. (That's a long story but has nothing to do with scouting so I'll leave it off here). Since we need a cot anyway I figured I'd look at buying one now and just use it for both purposes.

Lisa (and Gunny)

I know it's 'wrong' to assume, but I really did think that Lisa's question was about weekend camping.

As for summer camp and the intermittent situation, I like the regualt "army cot". Fabric place to sleep, durable, affordable, out of the way when folded and for me, comfortable.

We had a scout try to bring a cot on the last campout, he was told to leave it behind.

Sorry Lisa, aand gunny, didn't mean to offend.

There is no rule that says you have to be miserable on a weekend campout. I bring my cot so I can get a halfway decent night's sleep and be able to function over the weekend and when I get back to work on Monday. In 32 years of Scout camping I've done my share of pad on ground sleeping and have no qualms about using a cot; especially when it's no trouble to carry it.