Nalgene Bottles... Message from BSA Supply Division Scout Shop Kansas City

Like we've talked about in a couple of my Health classes, You're gonna die somehow. Everything has a risk and I personally don't see this one as being a major one to be concerned about. I've got probably 4-5 of these bottles and I'll continue to use them.

• 3 weeks later...

Link to Congressional Research Report on Bisphenol A.

http://assets.opencrs.com/rpts/RS22869_20080505.pdf.

My conclusion after reading this report is that for the vast majority of scouting uses of polycarbonate type bottles there is little risk to adults and adolescents drinking cold water or other cold beverages from these bottles. So I'm not going to throw out my inventory of bottles.

If I had infants or young children in my household I would not use polycarbonate bottles to feed them or store juices etc. intended for their consumption.

That's my take. Read and make your own conclusions.

SA(This message has been edited by scoutingagain)

Hey Scoutmomma,

I thought Aluminum was linked to Alsheimers. But of course our boys won't be worried about that...

Come to think of it my father-in-law was a scout from the 20's. With over 50 years in scouting, he died with his mind still sharp as a tack and walking 3 miles a week in his 90's.

Now that is something to aspire to. Dang nice guy too.

The aluminum scare proved to be like the Alar scare - all rumor and no science.

The orginal science on BPA leeching out of type 7 polycarbonate was done in Cleveland at Case Western Reserve U. Research showed that BPA, a mutigenic chemical, leeched out when the polycarb was subjected to very hot water and strong detergent. Animals kept in polycarb cages cleaned with very hot water and strong detergents showed highyl elevated levels of serious birth defects in their offspring. Those results, duplicated many times, suggested that hand washing at least sharply reduced the risks. Over the years, industry-financed studies found that there was no risk while university studies repeatedly found there was a risk. For whatever reason(s), polycarb is leaving the market.

PET or PETE (Type 1 plastic) is apparently safe for repeated use. A number of "environmental" sites state that PET leeches DEHA which they say is identified as a carcinogen by the EPA. In fact, the EPA does not identify DEHA as a carcinogen and has approved PET containers for repeated use. With the withdrawal of Polycarb from the marketplace, colored PET water containers are appearing in increasing numbers, as I noted last weekend in Target and Walmart.

I still use the type 2 (milk jug) Nalgene bottles that I bought in 1982. They work fine and Type 2 has been repeatedly found to be safe.