I have an old external frame backpack. The pack, shoulder straps and waist belt are in poor shape. I was trying to find a source for a replacement pack to mount to the frame. The frame is in very good shape. I have a source for new shoulder straps and belts. I would be using this pack on a very limited basis until I find or decide on a new one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums. Yeah, I look at my old cruiser frames and at the packs that came with them...and I am racked by waves of nostalgia. But if you have the right frame (cruiser or freighter by Camp Trails or similar) you might try to find the Camp Trails Moose pack. At one time the bag was sold separately without the frame. Here's a link to a store that makes packs that fit the Camp Trails frame:

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/barneys-sports-chalet/super-moose/

It's a bit pricey though.

Nevertheless I would love to make those old packs as good as new. I just know it will require a very strong sewing machine and a good bit of skill to make the parts correctly. ;)

Thank you Pack Saddle! The pack saw me through a Philmont Trek and through 3 1/2 years of scouts. After some poor storage while I was off to college, it has a lot of mildew and it is generally in poor shape. I thought if I could replace the pack my son could use it as he starts into Boy Scouts in the next year or so. That will give us time to shop around while we find just the perfect pack for him. Also, I spend some time with the boys and I may use it for short treks. You are so correct the memories from that pack are immeasurable.

One additional thought (with all due respect) ...

Don't let your nostalgia for your days in Scouting burden your son with out-of-date, heavy, or "un-cool" gear. My son's troop has a Scout whose dad makes him use the dad's old Scout gear. I once said to him (in a very positive way) that is so cool that you get to use your dad's Scout gear. I even mentioned how hard it was to find an external frame pack and their advantages. He rolled is eyes and said "Yeah, I wish I could have gear like the other guys." The Scout wouldn't dare break his dad's heart by asking him for new gear.

That said, I do wish external frame backpacks were more of an option. Hardly anyone sells them anymore, especially in the tall size that I would need. These old bones get hot while backpacking and the external frame would really help.

Thanks Kenk for the reply. My desire is not for my son to use the pack. I just thought that if I could find a new pack to mount on the old frame it could find some new service if it still fits me. I am going to have a limited amount of time to hike with the troop and am not ready to buy a new one for myself. I just thought if my son wante dto use it while he decides which pack is best for him it would serve its purpose. My son is a Webelos I currently. I think that the newer packs are far superior to my antiques.

Speaking of antiques, my wife recently prevailed on me to get rid of my old home-made, soldered steel conduit, 1960s vintage pack frame with rope straps and no belt. Wow, not much nostalgia associated with that thing...I thought I might use it to scare the boys.:) Anyway, it'll be part of a tractor or a rebar or something soon.

Kraut,

If you can point me to the tall version of the Carson I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I've tried to find it before. It appears to no longer be available. I can only find the regular length ones.

Ken