I mentioned elsewhere that I had bought a pair of Itasca boots that proved unacceptable for hiking on rocky trails.

Other than flexible soles, they were decent boots and are very comfortable and supportive for casual wear. So they became my daily footwear.

All was well until I went to tie them the other day. As I tightened the laces on one boot, a speed-lace hook popped off. Dang!

I looked at the boot and discovered that the rivet that held the hook on had rusted away and the other speed-lace hooks were in danger of going the same route.

Steel rivits on boots that are supposed to be worn in a wet environment?

It's a good thing that on our shakedown hikes I found out that the boots weren't good for rough hiking or they could have failed at Philmont and would have been left on the gate :-).

I figured that I'd contact Itasca to see what they had to say. Do a google search for Itasca and all you'll turn up are retailers. No company sites. Being the determined guy that I am, I went to the Patent and Trademarks Office site (uspto.gov) and looked for who owns "Itasca."

It turns out that a company called C.O. Lynch owns "Itasca" and, armed with that, I found the web site itascacol.com (Itasca CO Lynch). However, that wasn't much help. No consumer contact information.

I've found that companies that don't offer an easy way to get in touch with them generally don't stand behind their products. I'll find out on Monday when I call them.

On a related note, about 20 years ago, I had a pair of Nike running shoes which had the sole pull away from the shoe. I called Nike and they sent me a new pair of shoes and a shipping lable to return the old ones. Now that's customer service.

I don't mean to hijack the thread.

I wish you the best of luck with your boots.

I have sent things back to BSA National Supply (Two pair of shorts that developed holes near the inside seam and a couple of pair of socks that got holes in them.)

I mailed them with a note saying where and when I bought them.

I didn't keep the paperwork!!

But within a week or so I got replacements!

I was a very happy little camper.

Ea.

I had a great pair of Nike boots for about 12 years. Not heavy duty enough for long hike but perfect for camp wear. Last year the sole came loose at the rigth toe as we were walking inot our campsite for summer camp. it was rainy that day so I duct taped it. When things dried out I used some plumber's adhesive that another adult had and it held pretty well. On Tuesday I drew Walmart duty (a good thing: flush potties, air conditioning, a short list of supplies to get, a 30 minute drive of peace and quiet, etc.) On the way in to the store the entire sole of the left boot stayed put on the pavement when I stepped forward. i took it as an omen and pu both boots in the nearest trash receptacle. Bought a pair of Walmart boots that the boys. One of the boys told me it was fashionable in middle school to leave the tags on, so I got to have great conversations with many people the whole week at camp, always crediting my Scout fashion consultant. They were not the most comfortable boots so when i got home they went to the church's Under the Bridge program, so now they are gracing the feet of a homeless person. I still have a great story and a Scout who I can always consult on the latest fashions, even if I'm not sure that part of his advice is completely Trustworthy.

• 1 month later...

When to the local shoe repair guy (they are getting hard to find) and he replaced all eight speed lace hooks with brass hooks for $10. $1.25 per hook.

I can't even complain to the manufacturer because their web site doesn't have any contact information.

Boots are like cars. Both have features and issues. Some are cheap, some outrageously expensive.

You will probably have fewer problems with a new expensive car. And your Volvos, Lexus and Mercedes will probably outlive your Ford Tempo or Chevy Aveo.

Likewise, expensive boots are probably going to be more comfortable and give you better performance right out of the box and last longer the cheapos.

But if you like the cheap ones, and they are comfortable and get the job done, have at it.

But given my druthers, I'd rather drive cross country in a 10 year old Volvo than a 10 year old Tempo.

GW, you probably wouldn't have been able to speak to the manufacturer anyway, unless you are fluent in Vietnamese, Mandarin, or Bangladeshi.

My Cox cable internet connection was recently down for a few weeks. Not enough signal strength to keep my modem on line. After many phone calls, a technician came out and declared I had a "bad splitter". Upon inspecting it, the label said "Made in Vietnam". I also recently went to the Scout Shop to purchase patches for a new shirt...each one had a "Made in China" label on the back. Don't get me started.

Scoutldr, I hope you didn't get started. :)

I have four sets of boots. My old originals (Vasque Whitneys) still work and they're nearly - oh my goodness - 40 years old. They're the ones with the best memories and I still use them occasionally. I too had a set of Nikes with tread separation. Shoe goop took care of that. By the way, if anyone is interested in sure-footed walking around in streams and river shallows, a good way to keep from slipping is to use goop or contact cement to glue Scotch Brite scouring pads on the soles of some cheap sneakers. Then, after they're really gross with toe cheese, mud, and mildew you can leave them at the X-ray machine in the airport...let the security drones contend with them. ;)

"GW, you probably wouldn't have been able to speak to the manufacturer anyway, unless you are fluent in Vietnamese, Mandarin, or Bangladeshi."

Nee how!

Well, Coleman's stuff is made in China but at least I can call Coleman and talk about the product. Merell, same way. Sony? Same thing.

Itasca? Rotsa ruck.

Hey GW

Try some of these and good luck

CO Lynch Enterprises Inc

For 30 years, Itasca (C.O. Lynch) has been manufacturing high quality footwear for the outdoor industry: hunting boots, rubber pac boots, rubber products for hunting and work, service and work boots, and all-terrain hiking footwear Brands: Super Hawk, 6 in. New England, 5.0 Neoprene Titanium waders, Swampwalker 1000, Scope, and Outback.$$

DBA Itasca

City Roseville , MN

Country USA

Toll Free Phone (800) 225-2565

Phone (651) 633-8800

Fax (651) 633-9095

Web www.itascacol.com