Yah, Local mentioned somethin' about rope and frayed ends or somethin' so I just had to spin off a new thread. Didn't want to mess with his thread about nothing. :)

Got a couple troops interested in uppin' their level of Pioneering Project challenge, sort of as a bit of a one-upmanship fun competition between the two. They're lookin' for good sources and recommendations for rope and poles.

What does da group recommend for layin' in as an ideal, re-usable, not too expensive rope for lashing, that keeps a good hand and lasts over time? Any recommendations for cheap places to obtain decent, straight, load-bearin' poles that aren't too heavy?

Beavah

I found 1/4" manila rope from Grainger (you need a business account) was the most economical. Its cheap and does not stretch. I bought a 1200' roll and used it all for a Pioneering tower. I got my poles from a farm and fence supply store. My poles are 3-4" pressure treated fence post at $2.48/ea. At 6.5' long they are sufficient but are not handsome by any stretch of the imagination.

Beavah asked: Any recommendations for cheap places to obtain decent, straight, load-bearin' poles that aren't too heavy?

That depends on what part of the country you're in, Beavah. Here in the Maine wilderness, poles are free for the asking. You just need to ask a landowner who's getting ready to clear some of his woodlot for some of the resulting "poles". Most are happy to let the scouts have'em around here...then again, most of those our units ask are scout volunteers themselves. :)

We get our spars the old fashioned way, we cut them on private property with permission of the owner. For lashings we use parachute cord. We have a couple of Troop Comm. members in the National Guard and they seem to have an inexhaustible supply. It works great.