How to promote uniform pride

Hi, Eagle, welcome to the campfire. I hope you brought your own chair. Feel free to move if the smoke gets in your eyes.

We chewed the zip-off pants awhile back. You may want to dig through the archives and find that thread. If I remember correctly, national has considered them but rejected the idea because many people find a zipper around their knees uncomfortable and -- especially with little kids -- the leg parts always get lost. My boys have several pairs of convertable pants and are ABSOLUTELY FORBIDDEN from taking them apart.

Generally, I think you will find a lot of support on the board for a more technical outdoor pant, either like a military BDU or some of the mountain pants made by various outfitters.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of this goes back to the what is "cool" argument. A lot of boys just don't think scouting or the uniform is cool. I don't like the current uniform. It is uncomfortable and the old shorts were much too short for the current times.

However, I personally think that a scout shirt looks stupid with jeans. The uniform is something that only looks good when it is complete. I don't know how to inform boys that when they wear an incomplete uniform, or don't tuck in their shirt, that they don't look cool. They just look like they don't know what they want or what they're doing.

Not that I would advocate NOT being in full uniform, but a pair of wheat pants (or actual khacki khackis/Dockers) and the boy scout shirt doesnt look bad at all. A much better alternative to blue jeans although the uniform pants are always a better choice(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

After our Report to Austin parade, I took my son and his buddy, both still in Class A uniform, on the trolley and out to lunch. In both areas, members of the public greeted them with interest and enthusiasm, and yes, with far more respect than most 13-14 year old boys ever get. The boys noticed the difference in how others responded to them.

One of them, however, then came to the conclusion and stated that he didn't mind the recognition in another city in his uniform - but he still wants to be sure none of his friends know....

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the uniform one of the eight methods of scouting? Shouldn't this be kept in mind? I agree with all the posts that sugggest serious discussions with the youth leaders to garner their support for full uniforming. We have gone to full uniforming (finally) for all functions except car washes and camping, and it makes a difference. It is also critical that adults set the example. Adults who are slovenly in their appearance are better off in civvies. At least they are not setting the worst possible example. Maybe the adult ought to submit to a uniform inspection by the older scouts. Just a thought.

Our troop does not have a tie and slide. a few of the boys wear BSA hats. We encourage, but do not require BSA pants. We ask for khaki green, jeans or tan pants. Sweats and camoflage are not acceptable. most of our boys have a few pairs of khacki green pants that look great with the uniforms - many are zip-offs. Except at summer camp - every boy must have at least one FULL uniform - BSA shirt, BSA shorts & socks, plus a belt if we can find one to fit. if he doesn't have them - he can 'check them out' for the week from the troop uniform bank. (He can check out extras, too) no cost - he only has to return them clean. We encourage outgrown uniform parts be donated to the troop.

our summer uniform is a heather grey t-shirt with logo and green or blue shorts. this is for meetings in the park and activities, daily camp wear, etc. We recently ordered new troop shirts, which will be tan with a larger logo. the boys are expected to have enough of these to wear every day at camp.

People complain about the toughness of the fabrics - but i've never seen a problem with them - just the opposite, in fact. the pants especially, are so tough, most boys don't like them because they are stiff and HOT.

As a "big" and tall person - i'm hard to fit. Our SM and another ASM are also "big" people - and have a tough time with uniform sizing and prices. I just bought my first actual BSA pants after years of scouting - because I could not find another brand that fit me, in the appropriate color. My old pair - which were NOT BSA, just plain wore out. I'm lucky, because I CAN sew. - these BSA pants, which cost me over $50, are going to have to be altered. But for once, because they are so long - I won't look like I'm waiting for a flood! In fact, they are SO long - If i can figure out how, I might make them into zip-offs!

I would love to see the uniform have more "options" -

for example, when we go on trips, we require the boys to wear their uniform shirts for travel. but that means they wear the same shirt for two days. Teenage boys get dirty, smelly, and the younger ones seem to have a habit of wearing whatever they eat on their shirts.....

Changing clothes in the middle of an active day to preserve the uniform doesn't make sense to anyone - and we like to be identifiable while doing activities, too. it's a little expensive to have more than one uniform shirt - though many adults do so.

I wish BSA would make the shirt a little cheaper, and put all the "changeable" insignia (like ranks) on in pins or on the badge sash. that way it would be cheaper and more efficient to have more than one shirt.

I also seldon see the boys wear their badge sashes - Except, maybe on Scout Sunday or Court of Honors. and I NEVER see Boy Scouts wearing red patch vests, even though they are technically allowed to. it is considered a cub scout thing - uncool.

What things do your boys wear their badge sashes and FULL uniforms for?

Hey all!

I just want to reiterate what I've said on a couple of other threads: that a Scout in full uniform is a really important pillar of Scouting, and sets us apart from other youth organizations. The full uniform includes the neckerchief and slide. Anything less is just doing "the easy thing", which really isn't what Scouting is about.

I've seen quite a few posts on here and other threads advocating zipoff legs on the pants. The Marine Corps just adapted a new BDU. During testing, convertible sleeves were a sought after option on the blouse, but were soon discarded as an option by everyone who did tghe field testing, because they were very likely to get lost once removed, and unless they were attached each and every time they were washed, you end up with two distinct colors on one piece of clothing.

Most people here have the right idea: leadership by example. Put a leader in the complete and properly worn uniform, and your Scouts will follow the example.

My two cents.

Semper fi,

MiG-19

Good morning All

A lot is always assumed and said from adults about scouts should wear the Uniform. Sometimes we can get a different perspective on things by asking the same questions from in a different way.

1. Uniform is one of Eight Methods that help us work toward the Three Aims of Scouting, Character, Fitness and Citizenship. What traits of Character, or Fitness, or Citizenship does the Uniform help us give the boys?

2. I'm not sure how many here have read it, but the Scout Handbook section on Uniform tells the scout what a Full Uniform should have and when to wear it. If the Scout Handbook is different from what we adults say, what should the scout do?

I hope these are fun questions.

Barry

As I read through all the posts everyday, a trend quickly develops for all of them. This unform thread is no different.

The program breaks down when:

The adults do not follow exactly what is in the handbook or in the G2SS.

The adults do not attend training for their position.

The adults attend training and then do not apply the training.

The adults do not adequately educate parents as to the means, methods, costs and time requirements of the program.

As an Eagle Scout ('75), Brotherhood Member of the OA, and Webelos Den Leader, I feel Robert Baden-Powell, Thomas Seaton, and my old Scoutmaster looking over my shoulder every time I put on the uniform of the BSA.

It is like wearing a comfortable old coat. Maybe I am just paranoid.

I had the misfortune/joy of being at Chuck E. Cheese this past weekend.

While there, my sons pulled me to the restroom. By their frantic voices I assumed that something was wrong.

In the vestibule, I saw the object of their excitement. Framed on the wall was a fake Boy's Life poster of Chuck E. Cheese himself...wearing a tan uniform, neckerchief and campaign hat.

The images of Scouting are powerful.

In Vanuatu last year my Troop wore full uniform whenever around town. A couple protested loudly but stopped after day one. They were respected, given preference, actively sought after for a conversation by the locals, and we later found that the Vanuatu Scout Assoc got several enquiries from indigenous and asian people. Up to then they had never managed to get cross-cultural.

If the response is a good one the Scouts begin to like their uniform in terms of pride. Some engineering of this can help set a pattern I would guess. But I don't demand that they wear uniform to public events - they are just told not to turn up if it's not on. Some then see us anyway while out with family or friends. Self imposed exclusion causes an odd look on their face.

If the uniform is uncomfortable or not practical for activities then it needs to change.

From the "Department of Redundancy Department":

As I and others have said, we'll only achieve full and complete uniforming (if that's a goal, and it oughta be since it's one of our methods) when uniforms are both mandatory and affordable. Not one or the other, but both.

We seem to live in constant fear that if we require a full uniform, Scouts will quit. I don't think they will, but even if a few do, then so be it. If you hadn't lost them over a pair of pants today, it'll be over something else tomorrow.

If a lad wants to be in band, baseball, or ROTC, he wears the uniform, no matter how uncomfortable, expensive, or dorky. Yet, we collectively acquiesce to parents'/Scouts' uniform "pushbacks", then grouse to each other about it.

And, setting an example alone doesn't cut it. I'm a full-uniform guy, and so is my son, right down to the socks. Our troop is about 50% full-uniform, though, and I know Scouts in the Troop who have full uniforms but are still "waist-up". We encourage full uniforming with monthly inspections, patrol flag streamers, and a coupon each month for the individual Scout with the most uniform inspection points. Regardless, we've leveled off at less than 50%.

As long as National encourages and does not require, we will not look like a BSA training video. I'd like to have a fully-uniformed Troop, but without a BSA hammer, it's only wishful thinking.

"If you always do what you always did, you will always get what you always got."

KS

Our Middle School went to one of those "standardized dress codes". You know the PC name for school uniforms in a public school. Well I asked if the Scouts will be permitted to wear the

complete uniform on meeting days and was told this would be an example of unacceptable clothing. The Dress code requires "collared shirts with logos no larger than a quarter and tucked it, belts, pants in a solid dark color without cargo pockets." The principal said "that the patches on the the Scout shirts qualified as logos = to Tommy etc. That the pockets on the Scout pants were cargo pockets in which students could hide weapons etc. That the purpose of the dress code was to aid in safety in the school and foster non competition between the students who wore designer clothes and those that did not. That if Scouts wore thier uniforms to school one day a week then they would be set off as elitist amongst the other students."

Well Duh!! Seems to me that they would want Scouting to be a part of the school environment to promote the very values that they and Scouting enstills in the students. That if you had Scouting participation then you wouldn't need the PC police in the school to begin with.

OK off soap box.

>>As long as National encourages and does not require, we will not look like a BSA training video. I'd like to have a fully-uniformed Troop, but without a BSA hammer, it's only wishful thinking.