F Scouter Are you from Chicago?

I'm sorry. I thought you were from the LA area. Melrose Avenue is in Hollyweird. Oki-dog is (or was) the hot place to go after clubbing. It's just a small fast food joint that has been there forever. Spielberg and other movie types can sometimes be found there with grease dripping off their chins at all hours of the day or night. Tommy's is another small chain that offers big drippy chili cheeseburgers at all hours.

Well, as you remember I said I went to a seminary for three years, it was called St Charles Borromeo Seminary and was located at the corner of Route 53 and Airport road in greater Joliet. Its right next to Lewis College and just down the road from Stateville prison. Its no longer a functional seminary, and is now called the St Charles Borromeo Family Center.

As I said, turned out I really wasnt catholic priest material and so after my junior year I dropped out and then went to public high school, in Bensenville, Ill. The name of the school is Fenton High School and I think its still there. Bensenville is on the western edge of O'hare Field and one of my fondest memories is my dad buying Portillo's hot dogs with everything on them from a wagon at the side of Irving Park Road and laying on the hood of his car and watching planes land and until it was dark. I wonder if that can be done now?

Nope, I meant Melrose as in Melrose Ave in Chicago.

Hinsdale Central? I think they were the guys who always mopped up in Illinois High School Swimming Competition, they were always the champs. Been to Hinsdale Hospital a few times, the 7th Adventist Hospital that was notoriously anit smoking back in the mid 70's, had a set of cancerous lungs from a smoker in the lobby for years. Ours was the Tri-County Atheltic Conference.

But now that I think about it, did you ever try to find Peabody's tomb? Love Oakbrook Shopping Center

I think they were the guys who always mopped up in Illinois High School Swimming Competition Yep, in 76 we won state in swimming-11 yrs in a row, gymnastics-6yrs in a row, tennis-5 in a row and soccer, plus the girls won tennis and swimming. Six 5A state championships in one year was pretty remarkable, too bad I wasnt on any of those teams. But now that I think about it, did you ever try to find Peabody's tomb? OGE, thank you, you really made me smile! :) I havent thought about Peabodys tomb in 25 years and yes, I mean no, I mean we looked! We found the Seminarys Cemetery but were too scared to go in very far, playing Elton Johns Funeral for a Friend on the way there didnt help either. Good times!

Just to be clear, I didnt go to the Seminary where Peabody's tomb is. I went to the diocese of Joliet's seminary as I discribed. I grew uop in Wood Dale actually on the banks of the Salt Creek. Ah, how many times I dipped my toes in its water...

Unfortunately most of the times my toes got wet with Salt Creek water was because the durn creek was flooding and my room was in the basement and thats a sure way to wake up fast, to see your clothes float by your bed.

Dad, were you a scout back then? The Scoutmaster of out troop was from Lomabard and he and I figure we were at some of the same scouting events as youths, ever go to Churchhill's woods in Glen Ellen or the Thunderbird Scouting Reservation near woodridge?

OGE -

Fenton High School is indeed still alive and well. I work in Bensenville, about a mile from the school. in fact, they are in the midst of rebuilding the football stadium this winter.

Im a graduate of Riverside Brookfield High School, living in LaGrange Park. We were never good at any sports while I was there, but went to the state semifinals in football this year, and are 19-3 in basketball this season.

Ok, so maybe we should mark this thread suburbs of chicago revisited...

I went to the College of DuPage for Radiologic Technology and did my clinical training at Community Memorial General Hospital in La Grange. Dated a girl from La Grange Park and she lived close enough to the drag strip that we could hear the engines revving up. With motor cycles they would start with the 90 cc's (I think) and move up in sizes, the sound difference was something. And Brookfield has to have the best Zoo ever, well, it used to at least...

Ah memories

Dad, were you a scout back then? Yes, if you were a scout in the Chicago Area Council, we probably went to the same summer camp up nort in Wisconsin, darned if I cant remember its name. I went to the College of DuPage for Radiologic Technology My moms an alumni of CofD and my grandfather was a radiologist, thats a qwinky dink.

I was in the DuPage Area council and in the Sauk district, HInsdale must be right on the border. I think its called Three rivers council now. I only went to Summer Camp on year with the troop, and succeeded in driving a hatchet in my knee that required a few stitches in town to fix. The name of the camp was Northwoods.

I say I only went to Summer camp once as a scout, another summer the troop went to the Grand Canyon and then we went to Glacier National Park. Our Scoutmaster didnt like summercamp, said it was too restrictive.

Hinsdale is now in the Des Plaines Valley Council headquartered in LaGrange. It was formerly in the West Suburban Council, which merged with Thatcher Woods Council a number of years ago to form the Des Plaines Valley Council.

And yes, Brookfield Zoo is still great!