'Got a new scoutmaster who prior to assuming this role would take his pop-up camper to all of the troop camp outs. The troop is relatively new (19 mos. old) and is trying to fine tune practices and procedures. The pop-up camper appearing at all of the camp outs has become an embarassment for some scouters, including myself. It's not an image several of the ASMs want to present to the community or to new recruits. The troop does host 2 family style camp outs host in the spring and fall in which campers are welcome. Now that this guy is the new leader, I'm frowning on his desire to continue his practice. He cites 2 reasons for taking the pop-up: 1) I want my wife on the camp outs, and 2) she has back troubles.

I am the committee chairman. The committee is meeting tomorrow and the current troop travel policy will be addressed & possibly amended.

I would love your thoughts & opinions!

Never seen that at a camporee or troop event. If his wife would like to join them, she should sleep in a tent like everyone else. If her back is a problem, there are umpteen options for comfortable air mattresses available. Even backpacking styles. Better than any popup foam pad on plywood.

Another option is to quit car camping and start backpacking.

The bottom line is how bad do you need this guy? Are his SM skills worth the committee and ASM's being "embarrassed"? This is probably a simple decision...no camper, no SM. Your choice. It's unfortunate that he has put the TC in this position...but he has.

Normally I'd say this is a simple call. No pop-up campers on Boy Scout trips. We've never allowed them, and wouldn't think of doing so.

But it's your Scoutmaster who wants to bring it. Implementing the program is supposed to be his perogative. It's his vision for the troop that should take the lead. It could be tough for you to get in a situation where you are trying to overrule him on a regular basis (e.g. campers, departure times). He wants to bring along his wife, with her bad back, on troop campouts? That's just odd.

All of the Scouting literature clearly aims at tent camping. The Scoutmaster's Handbook talks about pitching tents. It says "Whenever possible, plan to hike at least part of the way to a campsite." Tents are listed as part of the troop gear.

Now, there's no rule against pop-up campers. The Guide to Safe Scouting even mentions them - "Use caution in towing trailers or campers." But as a way to run the program...just not what I'd want to see.

Still - I think you really need to ask yourself - either

1) do you want this guy to be Scoutmaster and have people go with his vision?

2) Do you want him as Scoutmaster with you trying to overrule his vision?

3) Or do you want to find another Scoutmaster?

I don't think option 2 is a very good option. But option 1 isn't that great either, and you may not have a good option 3. I'd probably go with option 1 for the time being, based on the relatively small amount of information I have.

Oak Tree

Yah, whoops. I replied to the other thread before readin' this one.

I'm with the Ol' Oak Tree here. Madame CC, yeh gotta get on the same page with your SM. Either by goin' along to get along, or by gettin' along and goin' to get a new SM.

The pop-up camper ain't my vision of Scouting either, but it's more important that the adults in a unit be unified. Yeh definitely don't want to be havin' this discussion in front of the whole committee, I don't think. All kinds of hurt feelings and bad outcomes possible that way, and near zero potential upside.

For the other (daylight driving) one, it's OK for the parents to tell the SM that other drivers just can't get off work early, nor can kids doing school extracurriculars, so it just isn't possible to leave early on a regular basis. But this camper thing is just goin' to come across as personal. Go there only if your intention is to lose a SM in a messy, public way. Otherwise, I think you and another respected adult have a private side conversation about the concern with the SM, and see where it goes.

B

I'm scratching my head (or something) on this one. I have no real answer, just questions...

Are popups allowed for everyone? Is it one for every two Scouts or one per patrol? Are they allowed at camporees or summer camp? What about RVs? Is the wife a leader? Does the Scoutmaster's son "camp" in the popup?

Ed

Perhaps when the boys do their annual planning session they could suggest state parks with cabins for them to stay in instead of those pesky tents. It would certainly help if the cabins had stoves and refrigerators and outlets to plug the DVD player into for campfire on Saturday evening. I wonder what message the SM would get from that? ;)

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. For the committee meeting last night I chose to not address the pop-up camper issue. I had to pick my battles for the night so I chose to deal with the travel policy. The SM informed everyone that he and the ASMs will be camping near the patrol camp site for supervision and that the adults, including those in campers (we only have 1 RV camper family -- go figure!), will camp in a remote location to the extent that the campsite can accommodate that arrangement. He specifically stated that the SM and the ASM should be camping like the boys. I guess I did win that battle because that's what I specifically told him when I spoke to him about his camper a few weeks ago. Probably the easiest way to make this matter go away is to only camp where it's inconvenient for a pop-up. Our next campout will be in September so we'll see.

Laura,

I'm just curious. Why is your next campout in Septmeber? Does your troop take the summer off instead of go year round? I've only heard of one other troop that took off after summer camp and resumed both meetings and campouts in September.

A week-long scout camp is the only camping we do in the summer. Tent camping in Texas in July and August is most unpleasant for everyone involved. In addition, our scout families tend to scatter for vacations.

Laura - we're just down the road from Pf'ville and I understand your point about tent camping in a central Texas summer! We also schedule a week of summer camp in June. In July, the older fellows can go on an out-of state high adventure, but we also have a day event like Schlitterbahn for the whole troop. Then in August, when "everybody knows it's way too hot to go camping", we have a swimming/BBQ end of summer campout at one of the great ol' swimming holes here in the Hill Country! It's swim wear all weekend and great pfun!