Alps Denali vs. Kelty Red cloud?

I'm interested in getting opinions on the Alps Mountaineering Denali backpack and how it compares to the Kelty Red Cloud. The Alps scout pricing is unbeatable. I would like to know if their quality is comparable.

Thanks! Scott

I can't speak about the specific products you mentioned, but our experience with the Alps Mountaineering equipment has been excellent. Two years ago we order half a dozen backpacks and 4 backpacking tents for a high adventure trip. All the tents are still in regular use with no problems. Keep in mind, use means by Boy Scouts who can be rough on equipment and the same can be said for all the backpacks that were ordered. In my opinion the Alps stuff easily compares in quality to the Kelty stuff.

You are ordering through their ScoutsDirect program and getting the Scout discount I hope.

SA

I got an Alps Denali. It has been great for 3 years, 6 backpack trips so far. Lots of space, but not enough pockets though (I like pockets!). I like the built-in cover underneath the backpack for those rainy days. Love the fanny pack. I'd keep my food in there and just detach it to hang the food supply on the tree. 5500 cu in is quite large but I managed to stuff it ... resulting in 55-60 lbs worth of backpack on my first outing. I learned to travel light after that. There isn't a really good place to attach tent or sleeping mat outside of the pack, but most internal backpacks are the same! I got the Denali for about $80 (if I remember it correctly) with the ScoutDirect deal from Alps Mountaineering.

My oldest outgrew his Kelty external. So, I bought him an Alps Mountaineering Red Tail (4500 cu in). He loved it. I bought it at REI outlet with 30% discount on top of the sale price, resulting in $60 for the backpack. Not bad at all!

Now, one of the ASM in our troop has both the Alps' Denali and the Kelty Red Cloud. He liked the Red Cloud better. It has more pockets for him, but he gave the Red Cloud to his son and kep the Denali. I think that the Red Cloud and the Denali are the same cu in and retail price $149 and they seem to have the same feature, including the removable fanny pack (although, I don't remember it on his pack). I took a look at both and for the price that I got the Denali ... I'm happy with it. The extra $ went to buy me the backpacking stove and the good mess kit.

If I were you, I'd go and try them out to see which fits you better. That is the most important factor. REI, WholeEarth, etc. have Alps and Kelty. All else fails, ask Alps and Kelty to see if they same sample in the local stores.

1Hour

Don't have either but I do own an Alps Cascade. The difference between it and the Denali seems to be that the Cascade _does_ have the extra pockets. I've been completely satisfied with the fit and the quality of my Cascade. I've got other Alps equipment and all of it is top quality (and the ScoutDirect.com pricing can't be beat).

• 2 years later...

Please do not ask for the ScoutDirect discount when shopping at retailers like REI.

The ScoutDirect Discount is ONLY available when shopping thru ScoutDirect.

REI has its own discount which is in part the "dividend" payout at the end of the year which is based on the amount you spent on the goods that you buy there. In addition to sales and closeout items.

ScoutDirect information on ALPS Mountaineering products can be found at: http://www.scoutdirect.com/

I had one Alps pack, I forget the name but it didn't adjust to my size so I went looking for another. I went to the local outfitter and tried the Denali and the Cascade. I thought that I'd live the Denali because I'm a pockets guy too. I really didn't care for the way the pockets stuck out and there was something else about the pack that scratched it off my list.

The Cascade worked fine for me. The two pockets on the front are large enough to hold my meds, my snacks, my ditty bag of spare batteries, sewing kit and first aid. Into the top pocket went my rain suit, cup and spoon, zip lock bag of TP, knit hat. I can't recall ever saying "Gee I wish that I had an extra pocket."

docbmac

REI will give any youth group a 10% discount if you call their 800 number and register with them. They tell you it only applies when you order over the phone, but I've gotten the discount several times by asking the manager in the store.

Also, the 10% is applied to sales, discount, closeout items ,etc... they are really good about it!

Since we are back with talking about Alps backpacks, does anyone have much to say about the Alps Red Tail 4900? They have a good sale going on right now and I was wondering how they compare to the Denali and the Cascade.

We are ordering a number of Cascade 4200s for our younger scouts. With the small belt,they work out to about $80 before shipping. We are also ordering some of the Cascade 5200s for our teenagers. Others are enamored with pockets; I am less concerned about that. but it looks like we will have about 6 rust colored packs on our hike in December.

We ordered one as a sample, (and loaner) and on close inspection, we are very pleased with the pack. It has all the features a younger scout needs in a pack.

I asked at the local REI about a Scouting discount and was told by the staffer (also a Scouter), no discounts.

I wound up at a locally owned outfitters and got a level of service that was incredible and was surprised when he rang up my pack for less than the price tag. I said, "hey, you didn't charge me enough" and was told, "you said that you're invovled with Boy Scouts, we give Scout 10% discount." I liked that, a discount without even asking.

One feature that I liked about the Cascade was the attached pack cover. I had thought that the zipper pocket on the belt would be good for my camera but it was pretty useless for that.

The ability to change out the waist belts could come in handy too, they aren't too expensive either. Unfortuanately, they were out of size chubby belts so I made an extender from some webbing and a couple buckles from a sewing shop. Worked fine until I shrunk enough to use the standard belt.