I putting together a book on camp gadgets and wisdom. I looking for help on input on camp gagets and wisdoms on camping. There are old scouter out there that have information that could be lost. I have some plans on the sheet of plywood table and some chairs.

Yours in Scouting

drmicrowave

Dear Micro,

Your idea is great. I have collected several books of old camp gadgets over the years. They are interesting and of value more as a way to reminisce. I doubt that any gadgets will get lost because old Scouters die off. The problem with the old is that few are making the new. At one time in Scout history there were plans to build a log cabin, which is no camp gadget! Kids today can't just cut down twenty to fifty trees to build one, nor would I recommend it even if you could. Making camp gadgets was a way of making use of cast-off items to make things that are needed. If you were of a mind, I suggest you figure out what you need for camping or for your Patrol and think of cheap ways to invent something that would be meet that need. You will develop a keen eye and sharp mind for being thrifty and helpful. If you can draw, then I suggest showing how to make it on one page of paper and then submit it to Boys' Life for review. You could even become kind of famous if your article was accepted. FB

Fussy Bear

What you say is true. I was want to put together some thing for new scouters that are coming a long, and yes there will new ideas. But there are some old good ones out there.

I am not really with a troop any more I am training now. But while Im camping people do ask me about plans, For the projects. I was looking at as a way the the troops could use for program in making projects. And to help new scouters a help in getting started.. We do have camp gadgets at our Uscouting and again scouters ask for the plans. At BD of review I ask sometimes what will you give back to scouting so this is put of me tring to give back.

Mico

We just had our fall camporee. We were allowed only above ground fires. Several units chose not to have fires because they didn't have an above ground fire pit.

Simple solution, use an old gas grill. Take out the guts, line the bottom with some grating, cut the legs down, lid optional. We have two of these, small and large. They stand about 1' above the ground. We had a lot of leaders comment that they would've never thought of that.

The funny thing is we used the same fire pit at our spring camporee.

I always have thought of Camp Gadgets as the gadgets made at camp, using knots and lashings?

We are of course a lot more aware of the impact that we have on the planet, then we were when I was a Scout.

Still a good stock of Scout Staves should be in every good Troops equipment store.

Not just for making gadgets, but light pioneering projects and games as well.

Eamonn.