Am I missing something? Dutch ovens vs. tin foil

Man o' man.

Tin foil in Iron?!?...Generally speaking, an unwarranted waste of natural resources! (scout is thrifty..conservation minded)(parchement can have its place, though). Using "tin" is also a "Waste" of training objectives - teach'm right and food doesn't stick! Teach 'em planning and execution and time is not an issue. And most of all- teach the scouts that "clean-up" can be a great time to shoot the bull...build friendships, swap yarns...Goodness kitchen duty is not sweat shop labor!

And if the QM inspects all D.O.s that night and then the next morning...poorly cleaned and seasoned ovens go back for a second (third?)time...After "do overs" once or twice the scouts know that troop Iron is nearly sacred and it gets done right the first time! Finally, In our adult kitchen we make a big effort to show scouts good natured team work and and comraderie (sp?) Everyone pitches in and our "clean ups" are reasonably good times...Many Dads volunteer for the D.O.s cause they know clean up is not as hard as scrubbing some pots...(though a cold beer ...oh never mind).

Rather than fool with "fire" during clean up teach the scouts to use the stoves where possible...also have the right tools, wood or hard plastic scrapers (or old credit card- your wife's?), plastic/nylon scrubbie or hard nylon bristled brush and three cups of hot water will clean most D.O. in almost no time...quick reheat and a "kiss of oil" and pop the D.O.s back in their bags and its on to the camp fire!

And Eamonn, last I checked, the small aluminum D.O.s cost more than 12/14 inch high quality D.O.s- so much for "cheapies"...

One other point...about our women being "smarter", thusly teaching us to use "tin foil"....Our family doctor (who, I think, is older than god) firmly believes if women went back to cooking more in "iron-ware" he would see many fewer iron deficient women...urban legend? I wonder... (let the pummeling begin!)

Anarchist

I love my cast iron. Both my dutch ovens for camping and my cast iron fry pans for home. I always clean right away and then reheat and anoint with oil. I hate these nonstick things you can't scrub with a metal scrubber. I also subscribe to the iron in diet is a good thing and aluminum has been linked to Alzheimer's. So no foil linings for my pot. The only thing to use foil for is foil dinners.

Folks, I am in sympathy with the tendency to be cautious when it comes to diet. So I am also sympathetic to those who shun aluminum where it is practical.

I also note, nevertheless, that aluminum is impossible to avoid in the diet. It is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust (the part where we live) and it is part of clays and many minerals everywhere. If you look at the box of salt (and, for that matter, many other foodstuffs) you will see aluminosilicates as one of the ingredients...so it will pour when it rains. The dust we breathe contains aluminum compounds, so do the vegetables we eat. It is unavoidable.

So while I note that aluminum foil will often corrode where it is in contact with the sliced turkey (and I will reject that meat), I also recognize that I consume aluminum in less visible forms from all sorts of sources.

I just hope that if and when I become as confused and vacant as Ronald Reagan, that some good friend will do me a favor and stick an ice pick in my ear. Hopefully, not an aluminum one. ;)

Bon appetite!

Many years ago I done an internship at Charring Cross Hospital in London.

Working at what then a research project into the use of aluminum phosphate binders for the treatment of osteodystrophy commonly seen in patients with end-stage renal disease.

My part was working with the patients planning what they would eat and were allowed to eat.

What they ate was strictly controlled and they ate the same thing every second day for six weeks.

In order to track what they ate all the foods were very lean (Chicken Breast and very lean meat) portions were measured down to one tenth of a gram.

Fluids were also controlled.

My heart went out to the poor patients after about three weeks they were ready to call it a day and would have given about anything for a nice greasy hamburger or some bangers and mash!

Ea.

Bangers are sausages!

Back home, much like you can get real cheese (Something that is rare on this side of the pond!!) and each area has it's own distinctive cheese (Cheddar is a place in the UK.)

The same goes for Sausages.

Some areas use pork while others use beef each has it's own blend of herbs and spices.

Mash is just Mashed potatoes.

A plate of good Bangers and mash with sauted onions and a glass of real ale.

Man does that make me home sick!!

Harrods, Food Hall in London is a great place to buy real English food.

Ea.

I can't stand it...what is the origin of the term, "bangers"? I understand the "mash" part and, for that matter, why the tool is called a "spanner" or the trash can a "dust bin". But "bangers"? For that matter, how about "spotted dick"...and quite a few others?

"Two great nations separated by a common language..." :)

Getting rid of rust can be a challenge. I have recovered many cast iron skillets and Dutch Ovens. Some just needed a good sanding of the rust spots if they were small, reheated and the reseasoning started. Some however that had really mistreated required more serious measures. (one old Griswold, 90 plus years old used as a planter, needed sand blasting)

The ones that needed Iron EMT type work were cleaned of rust as much as possible then on an overnight or after a home BBQ were filled with coals and heated till almost red. This will burn out the rust residue and allow the deeper rust to be removed. Once the iron has cooled enough to handle with good leather gloves the iron is cleaned of all residues with paper towels and allowed to cool to the point that the oil for reseaoning will not smoke. When the oil will not smoke the first seasoning is done, then the DO or skillet is allowed to cool to the touch. Reheat the item and reseason. It may take 4-6 times of this reheating process to recover the iron. (don't forget to season the outside and handle)

Remember that heating the iron opens up the 'pores' of the iron and the cooling seals in the 'seasoning'. Cheaper iron is not worth the effort I have found as the quality of the iron is not conducive to the seasoning process. ('pores' too large or small? don't know) But good quality iron, Griswold, Lodge and some of the older iron is very much worth it.

Frying chicken in an iron skillet is a great way to start reseasoning a challenged iron skillet. ;)

Hopes this helps if you want more info let me know.

ps: have recovered old iron waffle makers this way also, just takes patience

yis

Scoutmaster Ron,

Rust is easy...light rust...wash in hot water with a stainless steel scrubbie...rinse set in oven at 250-300 until it looks dry take out and whipe with a lint free rag and oil, reheat again about 20 minutes and repeat the rub down, should be set for cooking...

seasoning- use the Iron as a deep fryer, set it up on your propane stove and fry chicken, fish, potatoes, and a favorite with the scouts...biscuit donuts!....

Just "fill" that sucker with oil and heat to frying temperature and cook away! (just be carefull with all that very hot oil and the 'flames')

Heavy rust..go get a reasonably clean large container -rubbermaid horse feed bins are nice but trash cans work well also...(I've used cardboard boxes lined with several heavy duty trash can liners in a pinch). Set your Iron Oxide D.O. (lid to the side) in the container and fill the container with COKE COLA! (catch it on sale for less than a buck a large 2 litre bottle) couple of bottles usually do the trick...let it set for two or three days and take a bronze or brass wire brush to the iron...inside and out...follow with a hot water scrub with the stainless scrubbie (NOT STEEL WOOL) and then start to season...this takes several "heat and whipe" sessions with oil...and I like to really slather on the oil (inside the oven and do my final reheat with the dutch oven upside down so the final "slathering" drips out of the oven on to a baking pan...this avoids having too much oil...puddling inside ...

then its back to cooking (deep frying if possible)!

hot pots and good food- life is short!

anarchist

My dad started taking me camping with him when I was 2. That is 58 years ago. He always used DOs. He passed away in 84. All the camping gear was stored in the trailer. When mom passed in 93, I went through the trailer and found all the ovens and skillets. They had been lovenly oiled and stored in brown paper bags. I opened up each and every one of them and there wasn't one spot of rust on any. He always stored them in brown bags. I still store mine the same way.

He also used foil and ashes to clean them. He would rub ashes inside them then scrub with a wad of foil. When they were clean he wiped a coating of oil and bagged them