What backpacking stoves do you use?

I'm on a mission. I've got approval to purchase new backpacking stoves for our troop, and I'm looking for suggestions from those with some of the newer equipment.

Also - REI and Campmor offer discounts for scout troops, but do you know of any other retailers that do ( specifically for stoves ) ?

CA_Scouter,

easiest first almost all major retailers will extend a 5-10% "goodwill" discount to a scout troop...Dicks, REI, Campmor...

now which stove to chose is more difficult...how are you going to use it...what does your troop use currently for car camping (what are you used to) what temps are they likely to be used in...where you may use them (way out in the boonies...overseas...just local jants?

then are you planning to really cook or just boil water?

are you planning on two or three boys per stove or four or more per stove? (many are designed for small cook sets (one to two litre pots (max) and get "tippie" when a big pot is placed on them (bad) or over heat...(really bad) with said big pot...

my personal favorite is the MSR Dragon Fly -multi-fuel...It's a blow toarch with simmer control...handles bigger pots well...though I am looking at a new primus mulit fuel ...gotta love gear! toys toys toys

give us some more info and stand back....It will all start to flow down hill....

anarchist

Personal preference

CA Scouter,

As anarchist says it all depends on what you want to do with it and how many you want to feed per stove. I own MSR WhisperLite Internationals which with different orifices will burn just about anything. They have a shaker valve which keeps the orifice clean and eliminates clogging. But if you want speed in heating things up as anarchist says the Dragon Fly is a blow torch with a simmer control. Put the two stoves side by side and the dragon fly sounds like an airplane engine. Which ever you chose if your going to have scouts use them I advise getting the base for them.

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

My all time favorite backpacking stove has been a Svea all fuel. Brass and unchanged since the 1950s. If its liquid and it burns, you can use it. Runs best on unleaded gasoline. But pretty good on alcohol or Colman white gas. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them anymore. I found a vintage one on Ebay for $30 and bought it for my son.

Back in the 21st century, I got a JetBoil for Christmas this year. Really amazing. Has an integrated caraf that boils water in about a minute and a french press for making really good coffee. Retails about $80 but is only for heating water. I take it on all scout events so I can have a bottomless pot of coffee.

We have an MSR and a Jetboil. The Jetboil is pretty cool, and since most backpacking meals are about heating water, it serves the purpose very well and very quickly. And, as was said, the coffee press is a lifesaver!

Couple of threads on this subject before just in case you haven't seen it.

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=6203#id_6203

http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=60579#id_60600

The one that our troop bought is Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail Stove

$25.95 at REI (with the additional footstand $9). I have the older Primus Trail Stove. It works well; however, as with most isobutane stove, it was difficult to light at low temperature. We camped one winter in a 28 degrees weather. It was very difficult to light the stove, but once it was lit ... it worked well! Apparently, isobutane doesn't burn well at low temp, but as the temp warms up to 40, the stove worked flawlessly. The one that I have has a built-in piezo. I like this stove ... One of the ASM has MSR Rocket Pocket and loves it. He had the same lighting issue in a 28 degrees weather.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

I personally have both a Whisperlite and a Simmerlite, though the Simmerlite I bought for its 'simmering' capabilities, but it doesn't seem much different from the Whisperlite.

I just ran across a new product from Jetboil, which they call a 'Group Cooking System', which includes the stove, stablizer for the canister, and a 1.5 liter pot. It looks super stable and I think it would be great for patrol usage. They should be on the market by the end of the month.

But I have a question... I've seen references to white gas stoves, but I've seen so much literature discouraging that for scouts. I don't have a G2SS handy at the moment, so is this another BSA urban legend - no white gas for scouts?

I think the problem with white gas (napthene) stoves is the real possibility of flair up if not used properly. Canister gas stoves are much safer but the cost of the canisters are an issue. That and you need to get the proper mix for the conditions.

On my vintage Svea stove, you fill it with white gas, then spill about a tablespoon on the burner and neck. there's a little pool for the gas to collect at the base of the neck. Then you light the whole stove on fire. As the neck heats up, it pressurizes the tank and gas starts to vaporise on the burner. Eventually, all the spilled gas burns off. Rather dramatic and you better not be leaning over it when you light it. But it lights no matter the temp or conditions. Every time and sounds like an afterburner when fully engaged. I doubt it meets G2SS standards.

The "no white gas" rule is another BSA urban legend, as far as I can tell. What the G2SS actually says is: "Use compressed- or liquid-gas stoves or lanterns only with knowledgeable adult supervision..."

The term "white gas" does not appear in the G2SS.

Incidentally, the G2SS is on-line, so you always have a G2SS handy if you're posting on the forum. http://www.scouting.org/pubs/gss/toc.html

Oak Tree

Our troop (and I personally) uses Primus Himalaya multifuel stoves. They're not the lightest, but they'll burn either cannisters or just about any liquid fuel. In addition, they have aluminum pumps, not the plastic ones used by MSR. They also do an excellent job of simmering and have stability, both physically and temperature-wise, to use with Outback Ovens.

We love them.

- Oren

• 5 months later...

So CA what stoves did you buy?

I too own a 20 year young svea 123 optimus. It is the best stove made. You can get away from the ball of flame by using fire paste. EMS sells it. Sure fire lighting with the fire paste.

The MSR wisperlite and pocket rocket also get high marks.

Lately the one burner coleman's really are trash. Buy sterno instead. Or hold the pouch of food under you arm.

When I was a boy scout, 'white gas' referred to Amoco Super Premium and it was, indeed, an absolutely colorless fuel with a high octane and high vapor pressure. It was also the only unleaded fuel to be found at the gas pump. As I understand it, you can still buy the stuff...and it still works great. Less expensive than napthalene too.

I'm with Gern. My all-time favorite is my old Svea 123 with a matching cook kit from REI that was made for the stove to nest inside. However, I have been on some very cold backpacks when it was difficult to keep the stove pressurized enough to keep it cooking. Extreme cases, I admit.

I also have an old Optimus stove that uses the same technology but was packaged differently, in its own fold-up 'can'.

Nowadays, though, I find it hard to beat my Whisperlite, especially after I figured out that it really CAN use different fuel tanks, especially if you extend the intake hose so it will drink up the last dregs of fuel. The pump pressurization is superior to the Svea (sorry, old Betsy) and the removable tank is also nice. For the money, I'd buy the Whisperlite or something similar. I don't like the butane cannisters because of the solid waste problem. If they were refillable it might be a different matter.

So far I have never had a problem with any of my stoves except one (name escapes me now) that had a battery-operated fan and burned sticks and twigs. The problem with that one was that someone stole it. Oh well.

That Jetboil system is hard to beat. I don't own one yet, but that might change this weekend. I've read very good reviews on at BackpackGearTest.org (http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Cook%20Gear/Stoves/)

Team that up with Freezer Bag Cooking (http://www.freezerbagcooking.com/) and you are good to go!

I do have an alcohol stove that is very light (2.5 oz without fuel) and works well. Very nice design. http://www.thermojetstove.com/

One note on the JetBoil.

Went backpacking last weekend with another JetBoil owner. Both of us had issues with the igniter. It wouldn't spark most of the time. I just thought it was my unit, but the other one also did it. Upon returning, I checked the JetBoil website and they acknowledge the issue and recommend always bringing a lighter or matches as a backup. Not a big problem, but rather annoying. Still boils water faster than you can use it.