It's been a few years since I researched this, but recall that simple foam pads were the lightest. But also bulky.

I went with new Therma-a-Rest ProLite 4 Regular and loved it. Packs into tiny package that fit inside my pack. I've used a 3/4 pad and didn't like it. Feet got cold. Never did manage to get the right stuff under my calves/feet to prevent it on that trip. Now it's always full-length.

(Note: For long-term storage of these self-inflating pads, open the valve, let them inflate, and slide under your bed. That keeps them used to being inflated and spread out. Internal foam will stay permanently crushed if you store it that way.)

Have fun!

MegaDittos on the Therma-a-Rest ProLite 4. Found one of these under the Christmas tree last year. Far superior to my old blue closed cell pad I've used for 30 years. It does come with a price being a bit heavier. I do like the idea of storing it inflated though. Better go out in the garage and fetch that bad boy!

If you tend to slip off your pad at night try getting a silk cover and put the pad inside your bag with you. I found a silk cover at REI and had it trimed down to the size of my pad. (the Thermo-Rest Prolite 4 is also my choice) Putting the pad inside kept me from ending up on the ground as my tired muscles flexed and relaxed all night. The silk cover alowed me to roll over without sticking to the pad. Storing the pad open also imporves self inflation rate and properties.

LongHaul(This message has been edited by LongHaul)

Pro-Lite 4!

Lightweight. Packs small. Mega-comfort and warmth.

If you use a bivy and tarp, instead of a tent, you can simply slide the pad into the bivy and no more sliding off problems.

- Oren

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto the full length Thermarest, although I think that I have one named the Backpacker Light or similar. I use a Thermawrap with mine so that something fluffy, but not clothing made smellable by contact with food odors, can be used as a pillow. My only problem has been the eight pinholes that I have had to patch. Maybe I set up the tent on top of something thorny one time. The patching was simple at home, but not a good trail activity.

Jeff