eager2learn, WELCOME!!!

Bike rodeos come in all sizes, shapes and styles. Plan it yourself or with another group.

I'd think that unless you're using the older boys to lead events - the activities may need to be different for the various age groups.

Wear helmets, Have fun!!!

jd

We have done mixed and joined bike programs.

A favourite was the obstacle course (slow riding required)and jousting. We used foam pool noodles for lances and kept the riders separated by something long and softish. Also had the noodles for hitting targets at various heights around a course.

Our bike rodeos have always been done without BS participation, not that it wouldn't help. In the past we've invited experts (bike shop owners, bike-patrol police) to help us setup a safety check follwed by a riding course using cones, and/or a talk on bicycle riding safety. The kids REALLY enjoyed the police officer.

I heard somewhere that State Farm insurance has a bike safety program too.

Ken K.

Thanks for the help. When the calendar for the Boy Scout 05/06 year was made the SM gave me a copy of it to use for the Cub Scout year. She had scheduled the rodeo date. That is why I was curious about if it is a joint activity. From the ones I have attended as a scout parent the Boy Scouts were not involved. Also how often do you have them? Once a year or every other year?

We usually run it during the May pack meeting and combine it with the Tiger Cub graduation. Bike, Bike Guest, Graduation. Of course the graduation isn't as interesting as it used to be now that they're already wearing blue shirts.