Webelos without AOL but after crossover

Bob, I think we do all agree. The Webelos program seems to be designed for a "perfect" world. I became a leader in October of the boys 4th grade year of 5 boys. I tried having more meetings, special activities on weekends, etc., only to have 3 boys not show and not tell me in advance. No activity during the summer (most of the boys at relatives out of town). I sent home paper after paper, newsletters, did phone calls, etc. about items to work on at home and nothing happened. I then picked up 4 new Webelos in September of the 5th grade year. Very sparse attendance still. I know I'm not alone with this problem. I've talked to many other leaders with the same problems. If I had to do it all over again, I would do some things different. Would it have made a difference with this group? I doubt it, I can't counteract negative attitude the boys get at home. I can't go to their houses each week and get them to do the "homework". I can't rearrange their families' schedules for meetings.

I still feel that BSA does not do a good job of addressing the issue of the boys who aren't ready to cross over in the Feb to May time frame of 5th year, regardless of why they aren't ready.

As a Webelos leader, I've offered to continue having meetings for my den and the other second year den in our pack. No parents are interested.

Remember the February crossover deadline is purely self-imposed by individual leaders or units not the BSA. The Webelos program says that they can go to scouting upon leaving the 5th grade, turning 11 years old, or, 10 1/2 and AOL. Nowhere does it say in February. If the schedule of the Den does not coincide with the Blue and Gold then you keep going. Nothing says that that everyone has to cross together, to force the scout to cross early is not a benefit for the boy merely a convenience for the adults.

I'm curious as to what changes you think would help?

Ed-

In our council we have discovered that we need to promote summer camp early before parents make summer plans. That means we make the pitch in February and the early payment is due Feb. 28. We also have found that if the scout does not go to camp in the first year then he will not likely continue on in scouting.

Working with the two Packs in our town we bridged the Webelos at the December Pack meeting and they joined the troop in January. Most of the boys were AOL and some were 11yrs old. By joining the troop together as a group they come together as a Patrol and everyone is in on the selection the name and the patrol yell. This is the Patrol method at it's best. While the non-Aol scouts could stay in the Pack (assuming the WDL would work with them) and continue work on their AOL, the reality is these boys for whatever reason do not have the motivation for the webelos program. If they are interested in the Boy Scout we will likely retain them in the program by bridging them with the rest of the den.

In our area and in our experience, January to March is the entry window to Boy Scouts. Any other time results in the new scout not attending summer camp and poor integration into the Patrol. For the 5th grade boys in the Webelos den, Aol or not, the sun has set on cub scouting and it is time to move on to greater scouting adventure.

Scoutdad

scoutdad,

Couldn't those Cubs who have not completed the AOL, stay and work on it since they do not meet the eligibility requirements to be a Boy Scout. They could stil come on a couple of campouts as guests of the troop or as cubs with their parent, in order to prepare for summercamp. My concern is what is the scout learning?

If he has so little interest in advancement in cubs, what will suddenly get him interested in Boy Scout advancement.

What about his readiness for scouts? Those last months to AOL are supposed to prepare him to join the troop at an early age. Without that training he is ill-equipped developmentally to be comfortable in Boy Scouts.

I would disagree that being in on the name selection and creating a yell is the Patrol Method at its best. Boys leading boys is probably a better measure. Why not have the Boy Scouts visit the Webelos and emphasize the importance of Doing Your Best and achieving the AOL so that you can join the troop as soon as possible.

Boys join existing patrols all the time and do just fine, but bringing them into the program prematurely seems high risk.

Every year I help with the Pack's fall sign-up and we are always getting 2 or 3 5th graders interested in Boy Scouts. It's a real question of what to do with them. More often than not the WDL is uninterested because they are finishing up their two year program that fall. If you tell the kids and parents to wait until next summer you loose them. I've toyed with the idea of forming a den and registering them with the Pack but rather than working on all of the cub/webelos advancement, instead prepare them for Boy Scouts. Teach the Readyman and outdoorsman skills and introduce them to the Oath and Law. Then bring them into the troop with the rest of the 5th graders from the Pack.

BSA has a good program for recruiting cub scouts. We can get large numbers out for schoolnite, but the troops generally only get the boys that bridge from the Pack. I wish we had a better way to reach boys who for whatever reason, were not interested in cub scouts.

Scoutdad

scoutdad,

I see you need to get the 2nd years in February. But what about the Webelos that haven't earned their AOL by that time but will before you go to summer camp and want to go to summer camp? Couldn't you start to integrate these boys in the dens they will be in prior to crossover?

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1