Given the recent rash of lost Scouts, is it time to re-look at PLBs? I haven't found any under about $550, which still makes them prohibitive to equip every Cub Scout who would ever hike in the woods.

But if they ever get down around $200 or less, I would seriously consider buying one for each of my kids (2) and another for my wife, to keep with them at all times.

I think they're still out there. What we need is to go back and look at the way we're teaching survival. Is it time survival skills become required?

What about gear like whistles, mirrors, etc? I'd like to know how many of the Scouts who have turned up lost in the last 2,3 years have those types of things with them.

I'd be willing to bet that 99% of lost people at camp (Scouts or not) could have speeded up their rescue with a.) a tiny bit of lost-proof traning (perhaps with a laminated pocket card with key personal data?), and b.) a LOUD whistle. Especially with Cubbies, I'd make the whistle a required thing to wear at camp- but not to blow unless in trouble.

While the headlines touch on extreme cases, most of the lost youth are much closer and are found within a couple hours. Even in farily rugged camps, a whistle can accomplish a lot.

since my original post nearly a year ago about this subject, it saddens me to think about the heartaches that may have been prevented since by using such electronic devices.

like others, we teach our boys the buddy system, safe scouting, map & compass, wilderness survival, using whistles, sets of three, etc, etc,... something i am certain others have done as well.

yet, we all still have to read about the tradgic stories. or worse yet, experience them.

what a wonderful thing it would be to give an eleven year old a device, that when in trouble, all he had to do was, "push the button"

certainly, such a Scout would not have learned all that we wish to teach him in the Program; but at least he would come safely home to his parents after a Boy Scout outing.

eagleSM