Eamonn,

Being able to use AA's will make life easier on an outing. Just take a bunch of spares.

Other than that, I'd say take a few mid-sized memory sticks (gives you some safety in the remote possibility that you have a stick fail; I've been using the Sony sticks and 3rd parties for 5 years and haven't had a failure), and do some in camera editing at the end of the day, and you should have room for lots of shots. Just remember that if you lower resolution to increase capacity, the quality of the pictures will be diminished somewhat, but whether that's an issue or not really depends on what you're going to do with them.

I have two digitals. One HP that is only 2.1 pixals and a new Samsung that is 4. Don't like the Samsung. Love the HP. I have 5 SD discs that I carry with me. I can take them full of pictures. Print the ones I want to and have all placed on CD for storage. Then errase the disc and start over. Wally World prints them for .19 each and for another 2.84 transfers them to the disc. My daughter had a Sony that she loves. It is 5 pix. Great pictures. I just bought a 256mb at WW for 28.00. That is about 4-5 rolls of film.

Two disc of pictures (92) plus the disc cost me just over 20.00 to process. No negatives to have to deal with. And I reuse the disc.

• 4 weeks later...

"If you think you might enlarge some pictures for prints larger than, say, 8x10, you need to stay at the hightest resolution of your camera."

Just to add a bit, this can be a factor even if you're making smaller prints, if you plan to crop the images and enlarge only part of the image. Using the highest resolution you can gives you more options in using the images later--the problem, of course, is storage.

"If you think you might enlarge some pictures for prints larger than, say, 8x10, you need to stay at the hightest resolution of your camera."

Just to add a bit, this can be a factor even if you're making smaller prints, if you plan to crop the images and enlarge only part of the image. Using the highest resolution you can gives you more options in using the images later--the problem, of course, is storage.