My troop has been blessed with gorgeous weather the previous 2 times I've taken them backpacking. They ended up just sleeping under the stars.

This weekend, we'll be on the AT from Harpers Ferry headed south. There's a chance of rain Sat night. The boys really don't want to bring a tent, thinking they could just wrap themselves up in a groundcloth if it rains (teenage logic at work).

I'd still like them to bring a tarp to set up, as the shelters are usually full. My question is, what size fits how many boys? i'm thinking an 8x8 would fit no more than 1, due to having to angle the roof for runoff. Does anyone have any suggestions? It's only 4 scouts going, so maybe they could fit under one larger tarp? Not sure how the logistics of that would work, but if they don't want to use a tent, they need to realize the consequences of being prepared with the alternatives.

Thanks,

Gags

This weekend, we are doing SemperParatus's 'Shoebox Campout' in which all equipment (shelter, bedding, food, everything) has to fit into a regular shoebox. Needless to say, no one will be bringing tents! The boys will bring their own materials for a survival shelter, including simple plastic sheeting and line. Plastic is cheap, compact, and light; I'd suggest at least an 8x10 piece per person if you want to make a tube tent.

Back in the 70s when I was a scout up near Seattle (read lots of wet camping), we NEVER used tents on backpacking trips. Each boy would bring a 10'x10' sheet of 4mil plastic. You can pick this up at any hardware store. What we did was one boy's sheet would be used as the ground cloth and another boy's sheet would be used as a tarp.

We'd construct a lean-to or some such shelter with the tarp by tying a rope between trees and putting the tarp over. We would tie ropes to the corners of the plastic using small rock or pinecone. Use a two-half hitch on the tarp and taut-line for tying the end to a tree or stake (We never used stakes either; there are lots of trees and bushes to tie to in the PNW).

For the ground cloth, roll the two uphill sides around some small sticks to ensure the water will go under it, not over if it does rain. Also, make sure the edges are well under the tarp.

Good luck and have a fun adventure!

SWScouter

Thanks SWScouter. That's the info I was looking for - I'm going to assume 10x10 will shelter two scouts. It' now looking more and more like rain - I'm still debating whether to just use plastic sheeting or actual tarps from home depot. I'll take a look at the 4 mil - I've used 2 mil as a groundcloth myself.

Now I just have to find the poles to my own tent, otherwise I'm going to be bringing a tarp of my own. (Always a rude surprise when you reach for your tent bag at the fall camporee and realize it's a little on the soft side).

When I went to Philmont in the 60's they issued 10X10 canvas tarps. These worked pretty well but were heavy. In college, I used to backpack on the Bruce Trail in Ontario and we used a similar size clear plastic tarp for 2 people. We carried tent stakes but not poles. The clear plastic let you see the stars at night and worked pretty well. Each person carried their own plastic ground cloth. Black flies and mosquitoes eventually drove me into a Eureka 2 man timberline after a few years.

You will be fine with 2 10X10 green nylon tarps for sleeping and another one for equipment. We did a week long trip in Maine just using tarps as shelters. Set them up side by side and low to the ground- the middle poles only 3-4 feet up and the sides just a foot or less up from the ground. We would refer to these shelters as "roman slave ships" with all the scouts packed in a long row of 18.

Like this:

[______I________I_____]

• 2 weeks later...