Hi All

The tale starts a month ago on a Monday when a committee member happen to see their troop trailer with their Troop number painted on the side being pulled by a car that didn't belong to anyone in the troop. She called the police and the Troop got their trailer back that day while the thieves get free food and lodging for their efforts.

Now lets zip up to yesterday. I got a call from the CC asking if our trailer was insured. Yep, it was stolen sometime last week along with our sponsor's church trailer. It is insured by our sponsor, so no problem there, but the one major difference between our trailer and the other troop is we didn't put any identifiable markings like our troop number and city. It is likely we will never see it again.

The CC is already planning to get the Troop number put on our new High Adventure trailer. It was broken into as well, but it wasn't taken because it had a different kind of lock the theives couldn't break.

Thus the story has a lesson. I know there was a lot of luck envolved for the other troop to get their trailer back, but I guess we didn't really give ourselves much of a chance.

YIS

Barry

Sorry to here about the loss...

some tips for others out there...

When possible trailers should have four locks...

1.-small pin lock to keep the ball lever from being used...

2. Ball socket lock, which fits over the coupling socket...to keep from being attached to a ball...

3. best hasp lock you can find for trailer doors ...american make a couple of nice ones, including a nifty 'round' job with no visible hasp!

4. anchor lock over the frame or axel...Where you generally park your trailer...dig good size hole fill with concrete and a long "eye" bolt...roll trailer up to this and run chain and strong lock around axel or between steel frame of trailer.

We have found it best to keep trailer out of public eye, and not at the church lot, to avoid temping stupid people...some ones large lot, beside a barn, even in a garage...or behind locked gates...sad but necessary.

hope things turn out better...maybe you'll get it back!

Good reply anarchist

The ASM responsible for Quarter masters called me Saturday night and confessed he felt it was part his fault. He had planned to build the anchor lock for both trailers but just hadn't got to it yet. The reason the thieves didn't get our other trailer was because it had the socket lock you talked about. Unfortunatly the other trailer had an unusual tongue where the socket lock would not work. The cut right through the other lock.

Good advise and I will send your post to him.

Barry

Our SM had a steel rod made that goes through the wheels of the trailer. He has locks on both ends and is about 2" across. We also have a steel pole in the ground that the tongue locks into which is about 12" across and is sunk into the groung about 4'. If they really want to get the trailer will all of this keep them from getting it NO. But it sure will slow them down and hopefully one of the neighbors that lives right next to where we meet will see them. We do have our logo on it.

Had a local troop that lost their trailer and everything in it several months ago. Never saw it again.