Hi all,

I'm making one of those small stoves out of cat-food cans; i.e. Roy "Traildad" Robinson's Cat Stove.

The instructions call for using a bit of fiberglass insulation in the burner as a mantle. Well, believe it or not, I can't find any fiberglass insulation. I live in Qatar & apparently they don't use fiberglass over here.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternate material? Would steel-wool work?

Thanks,

Mark

NO!!! Steel wool burns! Steel wool can be used as a fire starter. Take a 9 volt battery and touch the two terminals to the steel wool and see what happens. Suggestion, do it in a non-flammable place. Try vermiculite instead. I just recently built a pepsi can stove and am currently working on a zen stove. Check out this site for plans and links for a variety of lightweight backpacking alcohol stoves.

http://home.comcast.net/~agmann/stove/

actually the micro thin rust inhibitor on the steel wool is what burns, but no stell wool would not work for this...

You may be able to subitute several wicks from oil/alcohol lamps, or kero heaters...You need to 'install' around edges with ends 'up' (thats what makes the fibreglass so nice...stands on its own! Could also try sand...you have lots of it...means more fuel to keep the sand moist but it may work (sand works with gasoline...if you are careful...very careful...but that should not be a scout project)

wonder if you just got lots of canvas cut into strips and wound around inside the can...might have to

're-canvas' for each use but may work....

let us know how you do

fibre glass acts as a wick, a wick that keeps the fire/heat evenly dispersed rather than flickering back and forth. Several of these home made stoves -add a top (usually a soda can)with many, many small holes like a propane stove holder to distribute flame...check the web sites.

• 2 months later...