Insurance question...mainly on contents of trailer.

CO has no place for troop to securely store equipment so trailer left on farm was a great thing.

Troop for last five years has "self insured" contents...ie gambled that loss would simply we replaced over time rather than bare the expense of insurance. Protential new equipment "Guy" wants the contents insured and the troop to have liability insurance for when he tows (even though towing vehicles policy 'expands' to cover towed trailer. Your thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

By the way so far this has been a wonderful asset for the troop. And has led us from looking like a rag-tag bunch of mis-matched vagabonds to a well equiped, proud and sharp looking troop. When you can take care of your gear (store safely, dry and clean) you tend to be less hesitant to invest in what you need to make your program shine.

We've been having discussions with our CO and their insurance agent regarding this issue. Let me share what they have told us. (Note, I"m not an insurance salesman, nor do I play on one TV, so I don't know if this is all correct).

As you noted, the trailer and its contents are covered by that of the driver when it is being pulled. Therefore, there is no value in purchasing insurance for that purpose. It would only kick in if the driver was uninsured or underinsured, which should never happen. We were told that the driver's insurance would always supercede any policy on the trailer.

To insure the trailer and its contents from theft, fire or other loss, we have to find a way to store it on our COs property. I don't know if this was just an issue for this agency, or whether that is standard. Actually, I'm glad, because it's going to allow us to get a good place to store it. If we decided to keep it on private property, it was recommended that the owner of the property get a rider to cover it, and have the troop reimburse them.

Hope this helps.

Also if by any chance the damages were greater than the limits of the person's policty who was towing the trailer, the BSA's liability policy would step up to cover the damages.

The owner of the towing vehicle is always liable for the tow so he cant get out of it.

Tell your new equipment guy, "That sounds like an idea we should look at. Would you please do some research on the cost and terms of insurance, including coverage, deductibles, etc. and the coverages of your personal auto policy, and report back to the committee at the next meeting."