What are troops doing when they can’t tow their trailers?

Our troop resides in an urban area and Ive been noticing that we are losing individuals (adults) with trailer towing capabilities. Im looking for thoughts and ideas to work a round this problem before it becomes a limiting factor for our troop outings.

I know of a troop that used to have three people who could haul their trailer. Over time, that number has dropped to one. And the one guy is unavailable about 1/2 of the time. They downsizing to a smaller trailer that can be pulled by lighter vehicles.

Before buying our trailer, I wanted to make sure we had plenty of people who could haul it. Forecasting out, I believe we're going to be okay for many years. Of course, things can change, but I wouldn't have been for it if we had only one or two people who could haul it.

Ever since we got our trailer stolen, we have been packing 'em in to every moving vehicle that we can muster as we have done it before the trailer. This means that every parent has to participate if needed to be, whether driving them there or picking them up, or both. No one seems to object so far. Thankfully, we have 1 pickup left in our inventory to haul the big items, ie. chuck boxes and canopies.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

We are a new troop of 10 boys and do not have a trailer yet. We load everything into the back of our trucks and SUV's to go camping. It can get tight, but so far we have managed. It would be nice to have a trailer. Currently we have troop gear spread between various garages since our charter organization is small and has no storage area available to us. We have to round all of our gear up and hope we don't forget anything. A trailer would provide us storage, convenience and a little breathing room in the vehicles. The SM and my fellow ASM all have towing packages on our vehicles, so I can't envision us ever being unable to pull the trailer. If we ever had an instance where none of us were going on the campout, there wouldn't be a campout......and we always camp.

This day and age with every little old lady driving a 5-ton SUV, how do you not have people with towing capabilities? Adding a receiver hitch is easy and takes only a few minute. If a couple folks would commit to making themselves available for outings, I'd have the unit pay for the receiver, around $100. The hitch and ball can stay with the trailer.

Hi all

We saw this coming several years ago and made two changes. First we got rid of patrol boxes and now all patrol equipment fits into a small milk crate. Then we bought a smaller lighter trailer that mini-vans can pull.

I admit as the SM at the time, I wanted to be a backpacking troop anyways, so getting away from the patrol boxes fit right into my cleaver scheme.

The second largest troop in our District (120 scouts) has a fleet of five small minivan size trailers. They just take as many as they need.

My goal, which we never achieved, was for the patrols to pack everything in their backpacks and not use the trailer at all. I wanted each patrol leader to arrange transportation with patrol parents and meet the troop at the camp. Not very many adults felt the leadership skills gained from that experience out-weighed the advantage of the whole troop driving to camp together.

My dad told me everyone in his troop just met at the church and hiked out of town.

Have a great week.

Barry

We do numerous outings without our trailer. Many of them are termed, 'backpack trips' but there are also ski trips, etc. I have a love/hate relationship with our trailer. I enjoy the comforts that it allows us. I hate the way it seems to hold us hostage when we use it. The boys simply love it...I love my backpack. (OK, maybe 'love' is not the best term, but you get the idea)