The habits you get as a leader

I've been a Webelos leader for about 18 months now. Recently I went on an overnight trip with my son's class. The kids were told they could not go in the cabins without an adult. Yet one adult and one child together was OK! I found myself about to scream for help when I was left alone with kids --- my mind automatically said "TWO DEEP LEADERSHIP" and "NO ONE TO ONE CONTACT! I caught on to that part of training pretty good, huh? LOL

I was surprised the kids didn't have to have buddies when we got off the buses at rest stops. I know the teachers were doing headcounts, but 50 kids on a bus and you are missing 1 -- how do you know which one?

Well Mom, I know what you mean. I have been on field trips with my son's school and I cringe. My son and I were making a list of all the scout violations we saw, and he had more than I did. Scouting is so much safer than other outings I have seen I cant beleive it. Maybe as a teacher you get used to being responsible for kids and get complacent, I can never forget I am responsible for the scouts safety and welfare