I need a new backpack for hiking and camping. The one I have is getting outdated and worn out. My current one was a Wal-Mart special and I have no idea how many cubic inches it is.

So, Help me decide what size a pack I need and any specific packs I sould look at. I am not sure of the size I need.

I am looking for a pack that I can use on weekend trips. Probably no longer than two nights. So, just how much stuff will fit in a 3000 cubic inch? 4000 cubic inch?

Thanks,

OX

I have a 5500 cu in internal pack (the Night Hawk), bought it from Alps Mountaineering at 60% scout discount (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/NightHawk.htm ). That's a lot of space for a 2 night backpacking trip! What went in there? For a winter (2 days 2 nights) backpacking trip this past January: 1 sleeping bag, 1 wool blanket, 2 sets of clothes, 1 t-shirt, 1 butane canister, 1 Primus Alpine powercook stove, 1 2qt. aluminum pot, 1 mess kit, 1 set of utensils, 3 pairs of wool socks, 2 pairs of liners, 2 sets of long johns, 1 pair of gloves, 1 wool hat, 1 light jacket, 1 1-quart plexan bottle, 1 small first aid kit, 1 toiletry bag, 2-3 small emptied bags (for trash), 1/4 roll of toilet paper, 1 lighter, 1 water treatement bottle, 1 small sunscreen bottle, 1 small towel, 1 compass, 1 map, 1 book , 1 pencil, 1 headlamp, 2 AAA batteries as spare, 1 50 ft. rope, 1 scout handbook, several packages of "foot warmers" and a cup. Outside of the pack, I attached my tent and mattress. The pack that I bought has a detachable top to serve as a fanny pack. I used it to store my food supplies: 4 packs of ramen noodles (2 went to a boy who had a racoon dinned on his food supply), 3 bagels (2 for breakfast and 1 for spare ... and it was used!), 2 small packs of jelly (the type that McD gives out with the "big breakfast," 2 instant meal packs, several small bags of trail mix, 1 small can of devil ham, 2 slices of bread in a plastic "bread case", a small bag of that has instant coffee bags, tea, sugar, cream, ketchup, mayo, salt and pepper, 1 very small ziploc sandwich bag of gatorade, and 2 small tangerine cups. This was very handy where I detached the fanny bag and hanged it high on the nearest tree to avoid critters. Total weight of the pack ... around 65 lbs. I could reduce the weight, but that were all the essentials that I needed for a 25 degrees weather. Warm weather packpacking would be a little lighter.

But be forewarned, the larger the pack the more you will try to stuff into it and so if you were to do that, you should have a talk with you back first, then your leg, and then your body ... in that order ;) !

I decided to buy the 5500 cu. in. with my eyes towards more and longer backpacking trips with Philmont in the scope.

That pack costs me around $80. It held up fairly good and the straps system took some of the loads off my shoulder. I like their Red Tails, but it was back-ordered so I had to choose the Night Hawk. For the price, I couldn't complain (http://www.scoutdirect.com).

btw, I'm not advertising for them. It's just a good deal for me and I'm quite happy with the pack and tent that I bought from them.

For my son, I bought him the Kelty Yukon Large Youth External Pack $80 (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=53240&memberId=12500226 ) . It has 3500 cu. in and he was perfectly happy with it.

1Hour(This message has been edited by OneHour)

One Hour -

I just picked up their Glacier on special. Their "large" is only 4300 cu. in. I'm worried that it won't be large enough for a weekend or longer trip. As SM, I find myself bring a bit more of everything (extra water, extra flashlight). As my current pack is a Camp Trails McKinley (I think - it's 15 yrs old), this will be my first internal frame pack.

What pack did you use before this one? I find it hard comparing cu. inches between internal and external frames since the externals appear easier to attach the pads and tent to the bottom part of the frame. I think the McKinley is 3500 cu. in., and I wonder if I should have just gone with a 5,000 cu. in. pack.

Great idea on the fanny pack. The shoulder straps worked well? They look awfully skinny on mine! I guess they held up to the 65 lbs? I hope that amount includes water weight!

Cheers,

Gags

Gags ... did you order it with their Pro-purchase (look at www.scoutdirect.com )? That's 60% off or $60 for the pack that you just ordered. The shoulder straps on my pack is fairly comfortable. The belt strap is more important since fit tightly, it will reduce the load off you shoulders. I had an old Kelty external (about 3000 cu in). Still very good. The external makes it easier to strap tents, sleeping bags, or mattress. I still can strap my tent on to my internal pack. Now, about what they say about internal ... under the hot condition (like in Texas), it does not allow your back to breath like an external frame can, but for me the internal pack fits my body a whole better and the load is better centered for me. Of course, 65 lbs is not filling the 5500 cu in with every cracks and crevices that it has! One fellow ASM packed his 5000 to the hilt and his weighed in a nice 75 lbs ... closer to 80 (I think)!

I (and everyone) carried 4 quarts of water enough to cook with the first night. The next morning, the ASMs took turn to haul in four 5-gallons containers of water. Believe me ... it's heavy after the initial mile! We tagged team at the 1.5 mile mark with another set of adults/boys to carry the remaining 1 mile! Water is valuable and heavy on a backpacking trip!

As with hiking shoes, you should try it out fully pack to see if it fits you. The Nighthawk pack fits me well, even for a small stature guy like me (5' 9" ... 165 lbs). So far the pack holds up very well and have a lot of pockets. One feature that I like is the builtin rain cover! No complaint from me ... considered that I paid only $68 for it! As I have said ... I'm not advertising for them ... it just that this guy at Alps Mountaineering is doing a very nice thing for scouting by giving 60% discount to the Scoutmaster and 40% discount to the troop.

I bought 5500 cu in to make sure that I will have one that I can use on a Philmont trip one of these days. Of course you're correct, the adults tend to carry a little more to cover for mishaps, food, clothes, or emergencies, but soon you will learn as I do ... your "older" body will not allow you to look after everyone!

1Hour