Use Of Propane Stoves At The Jamboree.

At the last Jamboree the nice old fellow who was our Commissioner was a little unhappy with our Jambo-Rig. Which we took from the guide book.

The problem that he had was that with only one gas bottle and two stoves with 3 feet hoses, one stove is very tight.

Can you buy longer hoses that are safe?

Eamonn

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing, E, but I've got a Coleman distribution tree that screws onto the top of a 20lb propane tank. It has three nipples on it that allow you to connect stoves and other appliances to it by way of several hoses. The hoses are about 3-feet long and have the same fittings as the small propane bottle and stove.

I really like the rig. First of all it lets me run several things from one a big propane tank instead of the little disposable bottles. It also has a nipple on the top of the tree that lets you screw a propane lantern on top. A local troop uses as its standard patrol kitchen arrangement two Coleman stoves, two stove stands, a propane tank, distribution tree, two hoses and a lantern. It's a nice setup.

As to the hoses, they are about 3-feet long and cost about $15 as WalMart. I don't know if it is legal, but they will connect end to end for added length. If you really want one hose of a particular length, go to the local propane distributor. They can probably make one of any length you want.

I saw the Jambo web instructions on how to rig the stoves (trying to co-opt ideas for our camp setups), and they mention the "T" connector, but not the tree. We use trees, and like them especially because you can screw a lantern into the top, along with the two hoses out the sides. Anyway, by that omission, are the trees not permitted at Jambo? I have one of those "T"s also, and it could be a stretch to reach two stoves with just the hoses.

KS

On the Troop Equipment list. It asks for an Lantern Electric with battery.

I think this is just another better safe then sorry item. As you can imagine a fire in a city of tents would be a catastrophe.

It wasn't a big deal not having gas lights at the last jambo. In fact some of the Scouts said that I was better looking when it was dark.

Eamonn.

Looking at what KS posted.

The two stoves do just about reach with the T.

However when you butt them back to back the hose on one of them is a long streach.

If you could turn that stove around , so both stoves were facing the same way the hose is fine but the stove controls are on the "Inside" If you get what I mean. ( Both stoves facing forward) I will have a look around the Coleman Site today.

Eamonn.