I just got a new dutch oven and am currently in the midst of seasoning it on my gas grill. After reading a bunch of related web sites, I still have two questions:

#1 - I read that uneven heating can be dangerous to cast iron - maybe even leading to warping or cracking. Can I use my 12" deep Lodge D.O. like a pot on top of a gas stove without damaging it?

#2 - I'ver read that some people use the D.O. lid upside down as a griddle. I like the idea of one D.O. serving so many needs, but I'm struggling to picture how to do that. It seems that it would tip easily. Maybe I need to create a little tripod with rocks or small cans (tuna can size)?? Is this done over charcoal briquettes or would it be done over a gas stove - pending the answer to #1?

Thanks for any advice.

Dutch ovens are almost indestructible. About the only thing that can ruin them is a sudden temperature shock that will crack the iron. Ive never seen one crack from being put on coals. I have seen one crack after being put on one of those big volcano burners with a very hot flame. Ive also seen one crack when a lot of cold water was dumped into it while the metal was hot. If youre going to use one on a stove, crank up the flames gently.

Ive used the bottom of lid as a griddle on coals. Never tried it on a stove, but guess it would work on one of those big two burner rigs if you have it stabilized like you mentioned. But it might be easier to use a regular iron griddle or fry pan.

Another thing I never, ever use soap on my personal Dutch oven. Just scrape it out, rinse it, dry, and apply thin film of oil. You can scrape all you want with a steel spatula to get hardened stuff off you wont hurt the D.O. Use any pot scrubber just not Brillo with soap. If it gets a heavy build up that starts to bother you, you can refresh the D.O. by getting it red hot in the midst of a good fire the crusty stuff will burn and flake off or turn to ash. Let the D.O. cool gently. When cool, re-season from scratch this process also removes all oils so it will rust fast. If you dont have time for full re-season process immediately, at least give it a light coat of oil.

Happy cooking! -mike

Lodge makes a neat little trivet that holds the lid. You can use it upside down as a griddle or right side up just to have some place to keep the lid out of the dirt while you're stiring.

I've got a 14" oven that was too big to fit in the gas grill to season. I used a turkey cooker to heat it up. I turned it upside down on the burner so that it would heat more evenly. You need to be very careful. I used welder's gloves and metal hooks to manuver the thing.

• 8 months later...

NEVER NEVER use soap on dutch ovens when cleaning. The material will absorb the soap and the next time you cook in it your food will taste like soap. I have used dutch ovens to cook for over 50 years and the best way to clean them is to use warm water and a big wad of aluminum foil.

Scrub the oven out, turn it upside down over the fire and dry it. When cool rub down with a light coating of oil and store in a brown paper bag.

This is the only way my Dad would store them. He passed away in 1984. Mother left all the caming gear stored in the camp trailer. In 93 when she died I cleaned out the trailer and donated all the gear to NoArk Girl Scout Council. There were 9 dutch ovens and not one had one spot of rust.

Yes you can use the DO just like you use your iron skillet...(you DO have an Iron skillet don't you?) just don't heat the thing for long without something to cook being in it. course the stove has to fit your DO...(Your DO does have legs right?)

lid can be used as a griddle over coals by making a 'tripod' out of heavy duty tent pegs (not the whimpy little pins) or three rocks (though they tend to mess with you heating area/ability)...works great on a colman stove...remember to use just enough heat not a nuclear furnace and you will do fine...

best cleaning tools are a couple of nylon scrubbies, and Ute tool (back packers wooden spatula) from REI and some hot water...

get some good leather gloves (welding gloves are good and cheaper than Lodge DO gloves), a DO tool (lid lifter/bail-hook/ plyers) from BSA supply and a small shovel or long tongs for handling coals and a wisk broom (natural not nylon)for cleaning ash off the top...

(and start a sour dough culture tonight for sourdough bread!)

gosh I love this scouting stuff!

anarchist

I've used Dutch Ovens on stove tops many, many times. Not a problem.

Also, I recommend using a wok ring as a lid stand. You can use it as a place to put the lid when you are cooking, so the inside of the lid doesn't get dirty.

You can also invert the lid onto the wok stand, either for cooking over coals or live fire, or for displaying your beautiful cake, pie or bread or whatever. It makes a very nice presentation.

BTW - You do have the Dutch Oven with legs/feet ?

Folks sometimes buy the "home" version that is just a big pot, flat on the bottom - which of course will not work for outdoor camping, as there is no place to put coals "under" the oven...

• 1 month later...

It's fine to use soap and steel wool and LOTS of VERY HOT water to do the initial cleaning. You need to take off ALL of the factory protective wax/mineral oil coating prior to seasoning.

After you've removed all of the coating, rinse thoroughly, towell dry and place in a 200 -250 degree oven for about 20 minutes to dry thoroughly.

Then, the D.O. will be not enough to melt the Crisco or other seasoning oil on contact and season to your heart's content.

Caution: Once you remove the protective coat, rust will start spontaneously. Hence, be reason with that oven to start the seasoning process right away.

After that, no soap!

- Oren, aka "The Cast Iron Nazi" to my Troop

I wash my dutch oven with hot water and a small amount of regular dishwashing detergent. Seems to work well, does not remove the seasoning, and rinses clean. And no rancid oil and food residue to "flavor" the next meal.

Boy if my dad had ever seen us put soap in a dutch oven he would have used the lid on our heads. His dutch ovens were in almost mint condition after being stored 10 years. And as far as I know are still being used by NoArk Girl Scout Council. They are about 50 years old. The metal is porous and will take on the taste of the soup. Believe me I have seen it happen. If you have one that is really crusty on the inside soak it in water over the fire. Then scrub it with wadded up foil. But I would never never put soap in one of mine.

The main problem with soap is not taste (unless you are soaking your DO in hot soapy water for hours at a time, and even that will not be a big problem). The problem with soap is that the soap takes off the protective coating provided by the process of seasoning the Dutch Oven. If cast iron absorbing tase was really an issue, lets all hope we are keeping seperate ovens for "hot and spicy", "Garlic", "Sweet Stuff", etc. as any of these types of dishes, when cooked for the hours that are sometimes required, would give the cast iron more than enough time to absorb the taste (garlic cake anybody?). A "swish & rinse" with soapy and clean water will not effect the tase. (It can however contribute to rusting as it will remove the oil coating provided by the seasoning process).

Kurt

SOAP and Steel Wool...ONLY WHEN RESEASONING...

I clean mine by boiling water in them and then scrubbing them with a nylon brush... dump out water... oil and repeat once.

Then use Crisco to oil it and store.

I have never had a problem with my ovens. And I cook EVERY Saturday on my dutch ovens.

Tonight its Pork ribs, Sparkeling potatos, Corn, and Apple crisp cheese cake. mmmm mmmmm

Got the coals on right now.

Get yourself an "OVGLOVE" the greatest invention for Dutch oven chefs.

And a good cooking table...saves the back.

Jerry