Any advice on the right cot for 11-13 years old for summer camp (for places that do not rent out cots). I'm looking at the Byer's Allagash ($37) cot. We have two Texsport cots that look like the Allagash ($15 each). They are not sturdy or easy for anyone to put together, including adults. Thank you in advance,

1Hour

1Hr,

We got one of those Texsport cots to try it out and I found it almost impossible to assemble, too. It's now in the back of our camping stuff pile. I picked up a simple folding aluminum frame cot with 1" pad from Academy. Takes up more room, but works fine. Also doubles as a spare bed around the house.

-mike

"for the places that don't rent out cots?"...

Interesting...in the Council in which I am permitted to serve, camp costs $165 a week...if we had to pay extra for a place to sleep, there would be a major revolution!

The usual cost for cot rental is $5 in addition to the $150+ in Sam Houston Area Council. I haven't seen a major revolution yet. Of course, we could bring our own. This year we are going out of Council and the camp doesn't offer a choice of having cot rental.

I have been looking at cots and the cost of cots so that I can pass the information on to the Lads attending the Jamboree.

Coleman has what looks like a nice cot for about $45.00 a little less if you sign up for the youth group discount that they offer.

Looking through the Sunday paper I seen Gander Mountain also has a nice cot on sale for $43.00.

I use a very old Army cot, which a pal of mine gave me many years ago.

Our Council camp has old metal cots in the tents.They don't have any mattresses or padding, just the springs. Looking around the camp sites it is funny to see how creative people are in covering these springs. Some bring a mattress, some cover the springs with carpet while others just cover the springs with cardboard.

I normally just move their cot into an empty tent and use my own.

I had never thought about renting cots out, the idea has a lot of merit. Anything is better then them darn springs.

Eamonn.

In 1966, we had the metal spring cots with 6 inch mattresses. When I returned to camp in 1984, the same cots were there, sans mattresses. Now we have Army-style cots, some wood frame/canvas and some aluminum frame/nylon. I supplement that with a foam pad and sleeping bag, but usually sleep on top with a sheet. A mosquito net over the whole thing is imperative.

One year I bought a small ham-fist sized roll up hammock for camp. I thought it would be comfortable and it could also be used on backpacking trips. I set it up close to the tent between two trees and opened it. That night I carefully put everything under me and took off my shoes. I crawled into it and kind of folded in half, which of course, was not very comfortable. The next thing that happened were these noises coming from the local neighborhood brought on by a blind armadillo which scared me because I didn't know what was thrashing about and it took me about five minutes and considerable effort to find my flashlight. I darn near rolled. Actually I fell out into the wet grass and dirt below. The little animal finally recognized me for what I was, a large animal on the ground thrashing about. He jumped straight up, squealed and took off. I wanted to do the same but in the opposite direction, wherever that was.

After that incident, I shortened the rope and lengthened the hammock, making it tighter. I got back in and found it much more to my liking. What occurred next and without my immediate knowledge was that my body began squeezing out between the diamond shapes making kind of, what I now call, apples of flesh and blood. These apples were just right for the picking by those pesky camp mosquitoes. They would set their darts into me and would get such a bellyful they would just simply explode. Nonetheless, the next morning I looked a mess with diamonds and whelps all over. I figured one more night of comfort like that and I wound need a blood transfusion.

Someone took pity on me and loaned me an aluminum cot. It was free and comfortable. I recommend it.

FB