Half Dome Helmet by Black Diamond

The helmet is a sleek, low profile helmet that seems to be made for a beating. It is lightweight at under 13 ounces according to Black Diamond. The foam-padded helmet is very comfortable to wear. I have not worn it for a long time yet, but am excited to do so. There are multiple air vents for circulation on the hot routes. Also, on the four corners of the helmet are clips for the head strap for a headlight. I have also found that it can be used for a pair of goggles if needed. It looks a little bit dorky, but safety comes before style any day.

Franklin Climbing Gloves

The Franklin Climbing Gloves are well made and very useful. Not just for climbing, these have been used for weight lifting, wearing as a work glove, and for warmth. They can make your hands very sweaty, but take away a lot of friction. Youll want them tightly fitting for wearing and being able to work with rope. Mine are a little bit too big and that makes it hard for me to tie knots that are needed for climbing.

This is the start of a series that I plan to write up for this forum. Next, I plan to do packs. I'll add a link with pictures soon. Anybody else with experience with these items, please type up:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hopps

Glad to see you are in climbing too. I found Metolius gloves, but not Franklin gloves. Can you give a URL for it?

As I remember, you live in a flat state. What climbing resources do you have available?

My Troop will be on the Snake R on Memorial Day, then climbing at Vedauwoos. You should bring your Troop or Patrol and we will host you!

JB

Hey John!! How's it going out there?

Gloves: http://franklinclimbing.com/2004/product/catchers_mitts.php

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=671312&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1

For some reason, they call them "catchers mitts"

I believe Franklin is a part of Black Diamond, but not sure.

The only climbing I've done is either off of a tower at camp or in a gym in the area. I use the gloves for other things as well though.