Change in First Class Requirements

With the change in the swimming requirements for First Class, will the handbook be updated soon? I need to get my son his handbook in the next couple of weeks. How is it handled when changes like this are made but the boy has the "older" book?

sctmom,

Normally a sufficient grace period is given to allow the scout to either complete the requirements as listed in his current handbook or to use the new requirements as publications are updated and distributed.

My recommendation would be to visit http://www.meritbadge.com and download the new requirements. include them in your sons handbook or even edit the handbook to match the new requirements.

The reason I recommend using the new requirements is that one of the old First Class requirements has been removed and moved to the Swimming Merit Badge.

The swimming portion of First Class included the survival skill requirement of jumping into water over your head and then using your pants as a flotation device. This has been removed from First Class and put into the Swimming MB.

It is documented in the 2002 Requirements book. Also, you can look on the U.S. Scouting Service page for the specific wording.