Welcome to the forum, Razor. This is a good place to begin learning about outdoor skills. I say begin learning because the only way to complete the process is to practice the skills yourself. Scouting may also be something that you could look into at some point. Just remember that as an adult in Scouting, your primary function would be the education of youth. I use the term 'education' in the broad sense and it includes not only skills training, but moral training as well. You needn't be an expert in anything, but you must be prepared to offer your service. There is nothing wrong with learning skills while serving as an adult leader in a Boy Scout troop or Venture Crew advisor. In fact, it may give the youth a special opportunity to teach, something which aids in their education. Just remember that you are there to serve them (in some way) and not vice versa.

When I bought my first (and only) backpack as a scout, a store employee fitted it for me. He also taught me how to adjust the straps et cetera while hiking. On my first day hike with the pack, it became quite painful after a few miles. As much as I tried adjusting the minor straps to shift the weight, I couldn't make the pack sit right. During a brief rest stop, I set the pack down and reset the main loadbearing strap to where I thought it should be. I haven't had to reset it yet. The point is that while the store employee may have been well trained, the only way to be sure that a piece of equipment is working properly or adjusted properly is to try it out. This also applies to packing styles and different methods for using equipment.

I think Ive decided on an internal one...the external ones seem bulky and clumsy. I really like this Kelty Red Cloud 6650 that I spoke of earlier. Internal ones seem to hug on to you better. I will admitt though the external ones seem like they can carry a little bit more on them. On a final note I was wondering does it take some getting used to carrying one of these backpacks. Cause I will admitt that my lower back at a little soreness to it when trying on and walking around with these packs on. Ive been told that the external ones are more forgiving than the internal ones. So Im a bit worried that an internal one might not be the route to go. I NEED HELP!!! Any advice?

I own and I have used externals (Camp Trails, several models) and internals. I like the Kelty internal but there is a bewildering variety of other nice internals too. I like the internal frames after logging hundreds of miles with externals. Trails around here tend to have low overhanging limbs and the external frame seems to catch on every one of them. But the externals are definitely cooler. The internals tend to be warmer to carry because of the finer fit and ride, which is why I like them. I like a few convenient pockets but also a couple of large compartments for a sleeping bag or similar size objects. At my weight I would not enjoy lugging 25% in a pack, more like 15% so that is "not so much a code as it is a guideline" or I think that's how the quote went. Bob's right about the clothes, I carry as little as necessary and I live with the consequences.

My advice, try the packs on with some kind of load in them. Get some help adjusting them to your proportions, get the fit right. Some of them won't get there, others will feel great. Then your decision is made. Happy trails to you...(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

Don't be too concerned with getting the biggest pack in the universe, get one large enough for what you will normally use it for (OK, maybe a little bit bigger), and for those extra long treks just get inventive in your packing. Years ago my parents got me (at my suggestion) a peak 1 external composite frame backpack. It is a good size pack with an extremely good suspension system, but it lacks many of the features now common, and really is at its limit for a week long trip. However, I ended up taking that pack to Philmont in 01. I just had to work hard on keeping volume down (which usually keeps weight down too), and then finding a way to strap everything else onto the outside. I had to strap on sleeping bag, ridge rest pad, chair kit for pad, tent poles, and a couple of nalgene bottles in holders. I would imagine adding all that extra stuff to the outside probably wasn't the most weight conscious way to go, but it worked.

I seem to recall Philmont suggestions something in the area of a 4000 cubic inch for externals and something like 4800 cubic inches for internals for their hikes that about 8 days. I did it with a pack that is approximately 3500 cubic inches, but if I go back I will want something larger.

Another thing to consider is the other equipement you are using. For your early attempts at backpacking, which should be weekend length trips in relatively easy terrain, you can use standard equipment such as tents and sleeping bags. However, if you begin to get into serious backpacking, long treks in difficult terrain, you will eventually want to supplement some of your standard camping equipment with some lighter, more compact backpacking versions.

On the issue of being a Scout leader, I would suggest a Venturing Crew specializing in high adventure activity would probably be the best fit for you. The members will be older youth and the activities will be challenging. If that doesn't work out, there are also many Boy Scout Troops that do large amounts of high adventure and other outdoor activities that you might fit in with. Just keep in mind being an adult in Scouting is about more than just the outdoors, it is about developing the character of youth members. Though I would guess that most units would be glad to have another outdoor enthusiast around to help out, even if they do have to show you the ropes first, so to speak.

Also, there are various non-Scouting clubs and groups that specialize recreational camping and backpacking. Some of these are affiliated with universities, YMCAs, outfitters, community centers, or other handy places.