Any of the self-inflatables from ThermaRest are a sure bet. I have a CampRest, 2 1/2" thick when inflated, that has kept me snuggly during winter camps in Korea.

Stay away from imitations; I'm particularly unimpressed with Coleman's self-inflatables...

KS

I've used Therm-a-Rests for years - the 2" thick version, but I recently finally got around to buying a repair kit and stuff sack for it. So far I've been lucky and not had a leak, but figured my luck might be running out. My hope is that the stuff sack will provide a little more protection and reduce the chance of an abuse-caused leak.

I have a Thermarest Backpacker lite. It's a little narrower than my Thermarast Camp Rest, but it's fine for short trips. I've had the Camp Rest for 10 or more years, and it's held up VERY well. Remember to store it in the inflated position, with the valve open! That way it will not take on any memory and will re-inflate much faster.

Therma-rest is the best way to go. If you are serious about keeping packing weight down choose a pad length that goes from your shoulders to the the knee. Do the princess and the pea test, put a few marbles under the pad in the store and test it out. If you don't feel the marbles then the pad is thick enough to be comfortable for your body weight, or so I'm told, (I have a the thick camp rest model cuz I like to be comfy).

Mike, the $40 THERM-A-REST PERFORMANCE GUIDELITE is for the 3/4 size only. The cheapest that I found for the full size is at REI outlet.com for $50. So far, I'm happy with my Coleman pad but it weighs in around 3.5+ lbs; for backpacking ... it's great for the back, horizontally, but it hurts the back, vertically! :)

(This message has been edited by OneHour)