On a recent Long walk in the woods, I carried my trustee Coleman propane stove. The one that you screw the top onto the big bottle of fuel. It heats water most rickey-tickey but both it and the fuel are big and heavy. I've also noticed that these little cute backpacking stoves that my Bos'n and trustee First Mate lugged on this trail, had a hard time heating enough for a cup of coffee, forget about a pot of Joe, we'd still be out there.

What works for you?

A little while back I started getting my stuff ready for my return to the great outdoors. Back home the top of the line backpacking stoves were the primus stoves. I worked in a hardware store and the old fellow who owned it just loved these stoves and lamps. It was more of a hobby with him. Of course he fitted me out with a couple of stoves and I was ready to go. I used these stoves for many years as I worked on the hikes needed for my Queen Scout Award and the Duke Of Edinburgh's Award.

When I became Scout Leader, the cost of primus stoves was a little steep and I wasn't that keen on the Scouts carrying paraffin in their packs. We went mostly to small camping gaz stoves. They were cheap and the refills were easy to find. Of course the Gaz worked out a lot more expensive then the paraffin did.

I have just bought a MSR Whisper Lite Shaker stove it cost $58.00 and while I have yet to take it on it's maiden voyage I have tinkered with it. There isn't any real control of the heat but it does seem to boil water very quickly.

I did look at the new Coleman line I think it's called Exponent. They have a small stove that looks good but over the past few years it seems to me that Coleman is not what it used to be.

Eamonn

I bought Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS from REI for $60. Used it in 28 degrees weather in Texas Hill Country in January. Worked wonderfully. Here are the specifications for it:

Fold-out pot supports expand to a wide 7-1/2"--wide enough for a large fry pan or wok

Includes a Footrest canister-support for a stable base

Piezo igniter

14,500 BTU burner

Compact design folds-up to fit into a small baseball-size stuff sack,

Valve adjusts from rapid boil to a fuel-conserving simmer

REI Link to the Primus Alpine Power Cook HPS

The Footrest for the canister (which can be bought separately for about $9) was worth it even if you bought the MSR Pocket Rocket. It provides a lot of stability to the fuel canister.

I wouldn't buy the Primus Yellowstone Classic Trail Stove ($25.95). The stove is too short and the pot tends to tip over. The stove's for some reasons fuel line was blocked during our cold weather campout.

The MSR Pocket Rocket is great as well. One of the scoutmasters has it and it works great in cold weather as well.

One other scoutmaster has the Coleman propane stove that you have Trail Pounder. He and I tested out boiling 1 quart of water. The Primus boiled the quart of water in 3 min 42 sec while the Coleman boiled it in 4 min 16 sec.

1Hour

(This message has been edited by OneHour)

Our Troop has a couple of MSRs that are about 5 years old; they work alright (not a terrible amount of usage) and aren't too tricky for the boys to light. Pretty good control as well.

And I've got a Coleman Peak 1 that works pretty well; more user friendly and good control.

I use two; a Coleman multi-fuel that works okay, but the connections and pump-up is a little involved. The other is a butane canister stove I got in Korea. Works like a champ, and it's quick/easy to get going...no fuel bottle leaks, either. The fuel canisters were real cheap in Korea (about 75 cents), but they cost over four bucks here.

KS

I have a couple of old Svea 123 stoves that still work great after decades of use. Also an Optimus with similar stamina. They'll probably keep working long after I'm gone. The troop has a few Colemans and I've come to view them as synonymous with 'death wish'. The troop tried a couple of the Gaz butane stoves but the waste of the empty tanks stopped us. They would be great if the tanks were refillable. I just acquired an MSR Whisperlite International and I like it very much. It's lighter, hotter, faster, and more fuel efficient. And it will also burn kerosene as well as naptha or gasoline. The only downside is that it doesn't pack as compactly but I'll live with that happily.

Of the MSR products I still prefer my Dragonfly. Yes, it is loud but it heats water very quickly. It has a second adjustment on the flame that actually allows you to cook and not just burn your food. I can cook just as I do on the stove top at home. It is truly a great backpacking stove. The only other stove I would consider buying for personal use is an Optimus.

For personal use I like the homemade alcohol stoves. Search the net for alcohol stoves, lots of good stuff there. You can make a stove out of a dog food can and a cat food can. Mine heats enough water for a personal dehydrated meal and a cup of coffee in about 5 minutes with 4-5 pop caps of fuel. If more heat is needed the remedy is a second stove (about 3 ounces in weight) can be used.

Larger needs I leave to the Whispers and Colemans.

yis

I have made a few pop can stoves. I give them to deserving scouts and scouters as a recognition. They are light weight, quick to set up and use and cool down in a NY minute. If I only have coffee, I like to use my pepsi can stove.

• 3 months later...