Seems like the available tow vehicles would narrow the selection down pretty quickly. Even a single axle trailer is happier behind something full-sized rather than a smaller SUV. And not all of your potential drivers for the trailer rig will benefit from a batch of excited noisy youngsters in the cab either! And lastly, I'd be careful about the relative experience of those pulling that trailer.

Deceptively simple until something goes wrong...

We don't have any policies regarding this either. I prefer to use those drivers that have experience pulling trailers. I have a couple of dads that have lots of experience towing. Those of us less experienced only pull when necessary.

Outside G2SS and the various state laws I don't know of other policies or regulations. This troop uses a trailer but we have a stable of haulers that have experience (really important) and vehicles that can safely haul the loads. I regularly pull loads up to 5 tons and what Buffalo2 says is very true. Because the kinetic (moving) energy varies with the square of the velocity, the energy that brakes must absorb also increases with the square of the speed. I try to remember that with a trailer, the safe speed is significantly less than without. I try to go beyond the printed regulations to maximize safety, safety, safety. So far, after 35 years of this stuff I still have a safe record. Good Luck. YIS

I guess one of the real issues is not pulling the trailer, but pushing it while backing up, particularly in uneven terrain or in real wet or snowy conditions. You might want to set up some practice sessions in a parking lot somewhere to see who can really handle a trailer in reverse.

I emphatically agree with that. Plus, I would encourage a good-natured audience. There are some great stories to be generated about people learning to back a trailer. It is one of the activities that really separates the patient ones from the rest.

Trailer practice is best done without witnesses - using your own vehicle... Kinda like teaching your son to drive

First time I had to park one in the mud was a new experience

Poor fellow still has straw down!