Registering: That is strictly under the province of the motor vehicle laws for your State.

Everything else: Have you asked another Scoutmaster at Roundtable what their troop does? What about your unit Commissioner?

I will say this, having seen troop trailers and troop storage buildings get broken into in my council: The unit and the CO need theft insurance on the gear inside the trailer!

All I know about this is that our troop trailer is registered in the name of the charter organization, which (I hear) is how it is supposed to be done. I assume that the annual registration fees and insurance are paid for from the troop treasury, but I am not sure about that.

NJ - I'm going through this right now. Here's what I've been told.

Trailers are registered as owned by the CO. Laws regarding licensing vary by state. In Kentucky, private trailers do not require license and registration. The requirement is based upon the towing vehicle, not where you are driving. Therefore, if I pull the trailer into Indiana, where licenses are required, I don't have to have a license plate. (However, they could pull me over to verify).

They should be insured by the CO. Technically, the unit can't enter into a contract for insurance (although I know of a good many that have). Usually, you can just have the CO's insurance company add a rider to their policy which covers the trailer and its contents for theft, fire or other loss. The cost of the rider is broken out. Therefore, if the CO won't pay for it, the troop can reimburse them for it. I also know of a few SMs who have added the rider to their personal insurance, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, when the trailer is in transit, it is covered by the insurance of the person pulling it. If they wreck, it's their insurance that kicks in. When it stored at someone's home, their insurance would cover it while it is on their property. The main purpose of the insurance is for while it is parked at a campsite, or in the case that the primary insurance was not sufficient to cover the loss.

Remember, I'm not a inurance salesman, nor do I play one on TV. I've been asking around and this summarizes what I've been told.

This was discussed about a year ago on here. Maybe do a search to find it.

The Charter Organization is the owner as others have stated. Liability extends from the vehicle that is towing the trailer, but not physical damage. That remains with the primary policy.

A persons homeowner's insurance will not( in almost all cases) cover the trailer. This would go back to the primary policy of the Chartered Organization.

Overtrained - insurance man

"Our trailer is chanied to a light pole"

I wished that we had chained our new trailer to the light pole. We just got it about 2 months ago and have yet to register it nor insured it (volunteeritist). The boys worked so hard on earning the money for it to have someone promptly towed it away three weeks ago! Ugggggghhhhh ... so went $1,900.

So my advice is to chain it, lock it, paint it, insure it, register it, or whatever you need to do to it right after you get it!

As for locking. Buy a good heavy chain and good locks. We had a steel tiedown ring welded to the frame and we use that to chain the traile to a big immovable object when its parked out of its secure storage area. Don't scrimp on chain or lock. If its not locked to a vehicle it locked to a tree. Never leave it in a parking lot, like at a church or sponsor. That where most of them get stolen.

As to Registration, Call the Motor Vehicle Department where you are located. They can tell you the right rules for your state. While Scouters here may quote you rules on ownership, this varies greatly from state to state. In the state where we are from a troop is considered the legal owner if its registered to them as our trailers are.

If you have access to a lawyer, consult with them also. It may solve some headaches down the road in regards to ownership.

In addition to chaining down, you can also buy a "ball lock" which goes into the ball socket and can only be removed with a key. (OK - you can probably get it off without the key, but it will take time and make noise.) They can be found at trailer supply stores.

Distinctive paint and decals can go a long way in preventing theft. They also provide easy public recognition on the road and at campsites and such. Our troop's trailer is red. We had a set of decals made by a sign company to the specs of a graphic artist in the unit. The decals are in white and blue, and look very nice to say the least. No one in their right mind would try to steal something so easy to spot.

Usually for an anti-theft system we keep a padlock on the hitch to keep anyone from opening it easily.

Now we happen to be in KY, and if I am not mistaken, we do have a license plate on the trailer. I also seem to remember all, or at least most, of my dad's boat trailers have had plates over the years. The things may not be required, but it is probably not a bad idea.

You're correct, proud one. In KY, the license plate is optional. I haven't figured out what it buys you, other than giving more money to the government - which I'm not a big fan of. If you hear of any other reasons, I'd love to hear them.

" While Scouters here may quote you rules on ownership, this varies greatly from state to state. In the state where we are from a troop is considered the legal owner if its registered to them as our trailers are. "

NLDScout - there is no variance by state. Per the units charter (registration) it is own and operated by the charter organization. All of its equipment is owned by the charter organization. This is in the rules and regulations the unit leaders agreed to abide by when signing their registration form.

Do trailers get registered other ways? Yes, but it is not within the rules of the BSA.

Overtrained,

You should consult with a lawyer before you say that. Local and state laws will override the Charter agreement if there is a conflict. If you ever get to read the Actual R&R from BSA, you will find that they are grey as heck and are not the clear black and white hard and fast document that everyone thinks when it comes to money and equipment in a unit. They are intentionally wrote that way because of the diferences from state to state.

Just like some states won't allow a Troop to sue in Small claims court, our state does. One of our neighboring troops did just that to recoup popcorn money from a parent.

So when it comes to issues or property and money you should determine your local laws and see which one has sway in the matter