All,

I am looking for a in-expensive solution to creating or purchasing 3 dining flys.

We are a new troop with out much in the way of funds (yet).

I was thinking of purchasing tarps and then crating poles using oak closet poles.

What have others done?

YIS

SM41

If it's possible, check with some established troops in your area. We had several dining flies given to us when we started last year. With so many troops going to the enclosed canopies, everyone seemed to have spares. Now, we have an enclosed canopy, so even we have a couple of spares.

As for poles, we had a couple of partial sets, and secured them to trees. Of course, that won't work in the middle of a field.

Oak poles are good but heavy & cumbersome to haul. You can buy inexpensive tarps. It's the poles that cost $$$$$. I would buy one set of poles (6 and a ridge) for a tarp & work on getting more from there.

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10(This message has been edited by evmori)

I would not expect to achieve great savings in cost by going this route. Every time I have encountered a situation where someone tried to save big bucks by making their own gear, they often saved some bucks, or at best broke even.

I would suggest the large blue plastic tarps that can be purchased from several dealers. They have grommets that can be ripped out in a high wind, so make sure to lower it during the night or during a storm.

Use two poles about seven to eight feet high for the two center-end poles. Purchase steel stakes and hammer them in the ground and tie them off with nylon rope in both directions from the center. It makes a type of A frame.

If you are close to two trees, you can simply tie a rope between them, throw the tarp over and stake it out. From the two trees, you may use the two poles on the outer end to raise one side.

It is true that inexpensive items are prone to rip and not last. When a troop does not have money, the answer is to use temporary equipment, knowing that it will need replacement later. Hopefully, when they have money, they will buy that really expensive equipment.

What I like about the cheap blue plastic tarp is that it allows me to be creative. They repeal rain and they crinkle in the night wind. In a storm, I sometimes just roll up in it. I have abused them for years. I have had them finally dissolve from exposure and lack of care. Sadly, I finally had to purchase another one for 20 more dollars.

FB

sm41

I am not sure where you are located, but here we have a store called Menards, at least twice a year they have a sale on tarps, the ones that Fuzzy Bear referred to, after rebate they are about 5 bucks each.

Have you seen the BSA dining flies? Model yours after those. If you have not look in your Scouting catalog.

For the poles use conduit, there are 2 grades of conduit get the heavy one. I would suggest 3/4" OD. I would use a 2"x4" pine for the top piece and the conduit for the 2 poles on the end.

My sons troop has one of those monster canopies, that I detest as do the scouts when they have to set them up, and they do nothing for the patrol method, some year I will convince the leaders to do away with this thing, except for training and special events. This monster canopy we have is all made from 3/4 inch conduit. On the 2x4 you will have to drill holes in the end where the poles can slip into the 2x4, and some type of connection will have to be added to the top of the conduit. I hope this is clear if not, please ask for more info.

I have to agree with Fuzzy Bear-

If you want cheap a tarp or piece of canvas, two upright center poles, lots of good rope, and good steaks will work wonderfully, if set up properly. I would suggest running a rope in place of a center cross piece rather than just stretching the tarp, that will relieve some stress on the gromets. Just make certain everything is steaked out very well and it will hold up for most weather.

Now for a more durable option my troop has two very nice dining flies. They are an older BSA canvas tarp (larger than current ones I think, and certainly heavier canvas). For poles we use some sort of metal pipes, I think steel. These actually screw together to create 3 H frames per fly, with some sort of end piece sticking up to slip the grommets onto. These are wonderful sets and have been in use for at least a decade, perhaps two. If anyone wants details I will check next time I am camping with the troop to see exactly what size pipe is used and what not. There are only two major disadvantages with this design- it is prone to getting stuck together, and it requires a long vehicle or trailer to carry.

Thanks all for the great Idea's.

I think I will go with the PVC pipe method.

2 8 Ft poles cut into 4 ft sections with a joint to put them together.

The other poles will be 6ft cut into 3ft sections.

All will have end caps and bolts to fit the grommets.

Use rope and steaks for tie downs. This way the fly can be rolled like a tent a stored easaly. The smaller poles will allow for easier transportation.

I will also mark the poles for easy identifacation.

Looks like they will cost around $20 a peice with Menards or a local Mil. Surplus store providing the tarps at a cheap price.

P.S. Please give me my steak Med. Rare with mushrooms and onions.

YIS