Pad under sleeping bag?

I'm trying to get my 12-year-old equipped for some backpacking later in the year, and am wondering how much he needs a pad for under his sleeping bag. My decrepit bones certainly would need one, but he often sleeps in a bag on a hard floor with no complaints. Do most boys backpack with these, or leave them home to save the weight and space in the pack? He's got an REI Sub Kilo down bag (on sale now).

In cold weather (even warmer seasons) the pad is a serious consideration because of its insulating properties. Even a good bag has little insulation value when compressed against the ground and he will be very cold if he's sleeping on cold ground without a pad. I require them for cold weather camping. I agree with the comment on open cell foam, the inflatables are more costly but they are compact and work well. Closed cell pads are inexpensive and effective. Well worth the weight on a backpack.

Depends on the boy. Most boys can sleep on a bed of nail and in 1,500 different positions. A pad doesn't even begin to cut it for my old bones! Even with a pad, it feels like I'm sleeping on granite and I pay for it in the morning big time. I have an air mattress I use or a cot I use with a self inflating pad on it. Neither lend themselves to backpacking obviously. My son has been in Cubs, so our camping has been car camping and bring a boat load of bedding has not been a problem. He crosses over in February and as much as old Dad hates to miss a campout, he will have to go it alone if/when they backpack. Like I said, it depends on how much "comfort" the boy wants. During warm weather, he may just want to sleep on top of the bag, but in cold weather he might find the insulating properties of a pad worth the extra weight.

I use an self inflatable pad under my sleeping bag and add a closed cell foam pad under that during the winter. Really makes a difference.

My sons used closed cell pads under their bags and seemed to do well. But I would recommend the self inflatable pad, worth the money.

yis

Just for clarification, self-nflating pads use en cell foam inside a water-proof cover. I agree that a closed cell foam below is an inexpensive way to add some insulation, but an even cheaper way is with about 5 layers of newspaper (an excellent insulator) What you wnat to stay away from are common air mattresses and camp cots. You are only circulating cold air under you, very uncomfortable.

If you are looking to make your bage warmer line it with a fleece liner (about $9.99- $14.99) or through a wool blanket on top. Remember to change out of the close you wore before bed, there is moisture vaper locked in the fibers and will chill you severly during the night.

enjoy,

Bob White

One of our rules to have double under you as you do above you, and as Bob White said, change your cloths completely.

Another tip: U might think im stupid but it does work, in winter, strip out of all of your cloths, and put on a fresh pair of boxers, and get in your sleeping bag. If you wear more while you sleep, you will wake up shivering from being wet of sweat.

Good Morning All

My younger son and I use a closed cell pad, my older 20-year-old son doesn't use a pad. That will change as he gets older, I'm sure.

They make some really good inflatable pads now that are very thick for folks with back trouble. I backpacked for ten days with an adult who has back troubles and he said these thick pads are fantastic. I don't have much trouble with my back, so a closed cell pad works for me, but the newer inflatable pads roll up so small now, they take up very little room in the pack. I'm looking to get one for that reason.

Several scouts in our troop buy the stadium chair pads at Walmart for $10 and use them for sitting around camp during the day, and a ground pad while sleeping at night.

Barry

Keep in mind that all competent sleeping bag manufacturers assume a ground pad as part of the "sleeping system" and is figured as part of the bags stated temperature rating.

A significant portion of the body heat lost while sleeping is due to contact with the ground.

Not to use at least a closed-cell foam pad (for most conditions) is daft.

One of the problems with pads that is recently being addressed by manufacturers is how to keep the pad in place under a sleeping bag. The older designs of self-inflating foam pads were so slippery themselves that next to a nylon sleeping bag they just would only stay in place for a short time, even with normal turning over. With squirmy kids and an over-inflated pad they would wake up cold and find the pad shot all the way across the tent! Now manufacturers are adding loops on sleeping bags to attach the pad, and the surface cloth on the pads is redesigned to give some friction and stay in place, so look for these improvements when shopping.

I was able to find an inexpensive closed cell pad at a discount store for only a few bucks that I use for backpacking. I'm primarily concerned about ground contact with my shoulders, back and hips so I cut the pad down to only about 3 1/2 feet in length, primarily to save space, they weight very little.

I'll bet a twelve year old could get away with one only 2 1/2 feet long.

I put the pad on a space blanket and have never had trouble with dampness when used in a tent. I have used this system to sleep on snow in midwinter in northern New England and have been warm enough. A polar fleece liner or polar fleece blanket inside a sleeping bag as suggested by BW drops a bag's temperature rating by 15 degrees or more based on my experience. Keeping a watchful eye out at our local discount store I was able to pick up a couple of polar fleece blankets for $5 or so and had she who must be obeyed sew them into the shape my bag for a liner.

I'm just suggesting you don't need to spend big $$$$ to be comfortable. If your son ends up doing a lot of backpacking, then you can invest in some high end gear.

SA