Thats a tough price point to work within...

However, son and I both have Kelty Trekkers from Campmor; they're external framed and adjustable, 4300 cubic inches I think. Great packs, well made and sturdy, but were a little on the small side for Philmont last year. They have a hydration bladder pouch on the inside but it's tough to access quickly for refill, I'm working on a reasonable way to hang mine outside somehow?

Others in our Troop use the Jansport Scout, another adjustable external frame unit but not quite 4000 cu in?. Works OK but I prefer the top opening to the panel access

Good luck - let us know what you come up with!

I bought an older Kelty external backpack through E-bay for $65. Works great and I was able to throw my hydration bladder in the pack and take care of what I packed around it. They have a lot of slightly used packs on e-bay and Kelty is a pretty reasonable yet durable model. I would do a minimum of 4000 cubic inches (Philmont's minimum recommnedation on an external, 4400 ci on internal).

Depends on what you are looking for. The Spire is listed as a technical pack and at 2500 ci is about half the volume of the Kelty I bought at the same price. Shopping on e-bay is the same as shopping anywhere else, do your homework and know what you are buying.

Nothing wrong with a slightly used pack especially if you are not sure if you are going to stick with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out this site:

http://www.xpressweb.com/~sjackson/TIMBERWOLF.html

They have all kinds of camping and backpacking equipment... Check them out.

I have bought two nice backpacks and a three-season bivy tent for great prices. I bought a ROKK FRONT RANGE for my son and a ROKK TALKEETNA for myself. Both are great quality and value. They are very comfortable and have hydration bladders.

The latest copy of Backpacker magazine is their 2003 Gear Guide. Look through that, get an idea which pack will fit your needs, then shop for price, including used. Many people gear up for an activity, then decide they don't like it, don't have time, whatever, and they have near-new stuff they want to unload.

KS

I found the one I am getting as long as it is still there next weekend. I went to The Sports' Authority across the river this afternoon on the way to a swimming event with the troop. We found the one I plan to get. It is an internal frame pack. I just wish it didnt cost as much!

Check in any large bookstore, or you can go to www.backpacker.com for subscription info. They always throw in freebies for a subscription, too.

I used Backpacker's article on wilderness survival as a reference for my Scouts to put their WS kits together for the merit badge...much better list of stuff than the MB pamphlet.

KS

• 3 weeks later...