I am researching for our troop an effective lightweight but large tarp(10x 20 ft.minimum). This is what we use to cover campground sites in the rain, or when there is no shade. Cost is not a big factor, but ease of setting up and height to stand under are. Something too that can withstand wind would be desirable.

Has anyone used the Aero tarps by Walrus? Any other ideas?

Out Troop bought a 12x20 shelter, like those used for car covers. It uses aluminum poles, and the "Ball type" bungie cords. It's a little heavy for carrying, so would have to be trucked in, but is very effective. We also bought one 20 wall, and one 12 foot wall, to put toward the windward side. It makes a great shelter.

We did this after camping with another Troop. We received 12" of rain one day, and while we were drip drying, the other Troop was dry as a bone.

This shelter is also great to setting up tents when it's raining. We quickly throw this shelter together, then use it to set up tents underneath.

I'm thinking cost was around $400.

Walrus makes an excellent product and would fill your needs quite well although I'm not sure what sizes they have anymore. Moss also makes a nice big tarp. Both are expensive though. Height is just a matter of getting big (or small) enough poles. Campmor does have a discount program (I think 10%) for Scout groups, call customer service for more details. I have heard that REI and EMS does the same but I have no first hand knowledge of it.

Our troop bought two of the heaviest BSA dining flies with poles last spring. They served us well on two occasions, one in a drenching rain and other in very hot sunny dry environment. These are not easy to carry around, but they have served us very well so far.

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to look into TYVEK right now. It's the white plastic looking stuff you see wrapped around new houses before the siding goes up. I've read some really good reviews on the backpacker mag website about this stuff. Very light, very strong, looks like plastic but is more akin to gortex (waterproof but breathable). It comes in 9 foot wide rolls. Best price I have found so far is $115. for 195 feet (of course, you could pay that much for a good quality tarp). I'm having trouble finding a source for anything less than a full roll so that I can try it as a tarp and then see if I can make a tent out of it. The one major down side that I have heard is that it is white with "3M" or "housewrap" written on it and you can't change it's appearance.

A bunch of the ultralighters use it. Search almost any backpacking site forum and you will find people who love it.

One of the gang on www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk posted this source awhile back.

"Try Quest Outfitters in Sarasota, Fl Ph # 1-800-359-6931. They sell it by the yard, around 50-60" wide and about 4-5 dollars a yard. I haven't used any for a ground cloth but have used haz mat suits made from it and it's tough. Quest sells outdoor fabrics. I have bought goretex and heavy coated oxford nylon for a bivy sack I made, and I am very happy with their service. So not only is this a source for tyvek but a great source if you want to make your own quality gear."

stalker

06:40:23 PM

02/27/01

My best suggestion is to ask any contractors you might know for some or vist home construction sites and ask about getting leftovers. There is usually pieces big enough for our purposes lying around.