Back Pack Stoves - What to buy

• 2 months later...

I can say that I've met several professional guides. Hot weather, cold weather, all weather. The Whisperlight is definitely the #1 stove among guides.

For Scouts, it's pretty easy to use, shouldn't be a problem.

Been using Zipp stoves for the past 25 years, and I'm now on my third. Very easy to use with a fast learning curve. A few pinecones with the little fan twirlling like a Dervish on steroids will boil a quart of water just as fast as a Whisper Lite, or even a Pocket Rocket. Just follow the same guide lines used for open campfires.

I've always preferred Coleman fuel stoves over propane stoves - even when it comes to the two-burner suitcase variety.

I had an MSR Whisperlite for many many years, but tired of struggling to control the flame level. So, I researched and researched and finally made the decision to go with the MSR Dragonfly. After using for a while I know I made the right choice.

The MSR Dragonfly provides complete flame control for cooking more than water. Is field repairable. Functions perfectly in very cold weather. Has mult-fuel capability - but use of Coleman fuel is best. Separating the fuel bottle from the stove allows easy use of a windscreen for more efficient fuel use. No partial propane/isobutane fuel canisters to mess with. Stable enough to handle good-sized pots.

One last thought: For any stove, don't forget to check the stove's function before each trip. All propane stoves and most backpacking Coleman fuel stoves have o-rings that are critical to their safe operation. O-rings can tear without warning. Its not a stove defect - just the nature of o-rings. Lubricating them before each use will help them last a lot longer. Use spit, Vaseline, Chapstick, or silicone grease made especially for o-rings.

• 2 weeks later...