I'm curious about how rules on out-of-state firewood transport - designed to control the spread of forest pests such as the Asian Longhorned Beetle and Emerald Ash Borer - have affected your units. Specifically:

- Has your unit been greatly inconvenienced by rules in your area on firewood transport?

- Do you traditionally bring firewood to a campouts, or use what's available at the site?

- Has your unit been involved in any public educational programming or service projects to spread the word about these forest pests and the problems of firewood transport?

Any other thoughts you'd like to share are welcome also. Thanks!(This message has been edited by Shortridge)

We are in Illinois, and in both Illinois and Indiana you are not allowed to bring in any firewood, except for lumber. Also in Indiana you are not allowed to scrounge the forest for wood,as they want it to return to nature. It has hurt the aesthetics of the big campfire. Of course you can always purchase a supply of wood at the camp store!

A couple of years ago....my state was divided by the bug quarantine. It was a pain in the butt, we had to buy firewood locally. Now the entire state is in the quarantine zone so we can transport firewood.

We are forbidden to gather firewood on our boy scout camps and state forests.

We are not allowed to bring wood in to our council camp.

State parks do not allow you to bring wood (except kiln dried) in to parks.

But these are just rules, and we really don't need to follow them (see other thread on rules).

You can't cross county lines with firewood here in much of Indiana and Michigan. Scrap lumber is ok so that is what we use. The state parks around here do not allow collection of any firewood even if it is on the ground. So if we want a fire (what scout would not) we must collect scrap lumber at home before we go.

It's interesting to see the different regulations around the country! In New Hampshire: No interstate transport of firewood. Some state/private parks take it a step further and prohibit import/removal of wood to/from the individual park. Our Council camp follows state law. NH also has volunteer "Lake Wardens" to check vessels before and after they're in the water to make sure they're clean. Certain plant life imports were a problem for a while which affected fish.

Perhaps it is a reflection of the size of California, but I am not aware of any restrictions on transporting firewood. There are restrictions on burning wood from Oak trees as this does spread a fungus that attacks the trees. One source of commercial firewood that seems to be inexhaustible is from old orchards that are being replaced.

• 3 weeks later...

At our local BSA camp there is a town of cut split firewood on camp, the OA helps do that. Now when I was another council's camp you had to scrounge the woods. Myself I like the kids had to get it themselves. They had to work together.

- Has your unit been greatly inconvenienced by rules in your area on firewood transport?

No we don't travel far

- Do you traditionally bring firewood to a campouts, or use what's available at the site?

Well for Campfires we scrounge Wood..Wood Burns no different when it comes to just watching and as a light source

For Use with the BBQ Trailer I bring good woods for cooking...Of Course being in Texas I have an abundance of Mesquite but I also once in awhile buy Hickory, Apple, and Oak...I prefer Seasoned wood for Heat Source and a Green wood for Smoking