Quick Start for New Scouts

OGE, I know that paintball is out, much to our scouts' disappointment. But I have not heard that lazertag is not permitted. I would think the difference could be the contact issues with paintball that aren't there with Lazertag. To get a large enough group to reserve the facility, we invited a nearby troop to join us, and they have some of the most experienced Scouters in the district, and they are on board. But I will check up on this.

Sctmom, regarding your comments to reach out to parents - I think that this is one of the most important things we can do to keep kids in scouting. My sons are both in scouting, as is my daughter in GSUSA. Each would have quit at some point if we had let them, because they would rather at times sleep in or play video games. Just as my wife and I expect them to go to school, go to church, do their homework, etc, we expect them to participate in scouting. We don't force with an iron hand, but we don't let them drop out of activities on a whim.

One of my ticket items for my Wood Badge ticket is to have a meeting with each new scout and his parents as he joins the troop. In the past, we have merely chatted with parents as they drop by, but some obviously get missed. I intend to first talk with the scout and family, to discuss the program and his and our expectations, and then let the new scout go off to be with the troop while I talk with the parents to stress that we need their help and encouragement for the program to succeed for their son. Almost all successful scouts I have seen have strong parental support for the program, and many who drop out had parents who believed that BSA stands for Baby Sitters of America.

Some great suggestions on this post.

I think the parental nurturing can be extended. Parents are concerned about who the other scouts are and what their child will learn from them - good and bad. Possibly get the P/L's to make contact with new members by phone or visit between meetings to make sure that the new scout has the right kit, is informed, etc. This shows the parents that scouting is a lifestyle and allows them to see the older scouts doing the role model bit.

This should work better in the US than over here where all scouts go on to venturers at age 15. Even so we get it happening when they prepare for patrol camps and activities. Not as easy for routine events.

Also we have a badge for new scouts that is to be taught by the scouts P/L. It takes less than 6 meetings and gets them off to a quick start with a youth mentor.

My son is joining a troop that is expecting Webelos from 3 different packs. He has already been attending troop meetings (most of the boys haven't), this is by his own request. The new scouts have been assigned 2 troop guides. The other night there was another soon-to-be Boy Scout there. The troop guides sat them down and talked to them. One of the boys then talked to me, answered questions, asked me questions about what my son liked to do at Scouts (making notes the whole time). The guides are going to work with the boys on their Scout skills for rank advancement during the next few months. I like the idea of the boys teaching this, I think it will help keep the younger boys interested.

Concerning laser tag and paint ball, the following is quoted from the Guide to Safe Scouting:

"The activity commonly referred to as 'War Game' - in which individuals shoot paint or dye at one another - is an unauthorized activity."

Laser tag is no more dangerous than capture the flag. People have been hurt playing paintball, and I would surmise that that is the reason that BSA prohibits it.

In the Venture specific training course this weekend the topic of paintball and lazertag came up. The instructor said the reason these were "prohibited" by the G2SS was that it involved pointing a weapon at another scout. That made more sense to me than any "danger" aspect. Someone may have said this before online, but I finally caught it. :)

Brad

I agree with eisley. I see nothing in the gude to Safe Sccouting that prohibits Laser Tag.

My concern is that it really doesn't teach or test a scout skill. I guess you could argue that it meets an aim of scouting by helping scouts to be physically fit, but I can think of alot of scout activities that meet that particular aim better.

I guess I would run it past the parents and if it they didn't have a problem with the activity I would use it on a very limited basis.

Before this turns into a big debate on the merits of paintball and lazertag, please start a new thread. I'd like to get ideas on how to get new Scouts crossing over "hooked" on the troop and keep from losing them to summer and baseball/soccer season.

Sorry Chippewa, didnt mean to get off track, no more comments from me on THAT topic.

I would encourage you do something scouty, whether its climbing, a special hike or camp out for the new guys. I think if you make it too far from scouts you may give the wrong impression about your program and what the kids can expect. Rememeber, first impressions are the most long lasting

In an effort to not lose kids to sports, we try to schedule events so that they do not always have to make a choice. We have started to work on the hiking MB and I schedule the hikes for Sundays, since our best hiking seasons, spring and fall, conflict with Saturday sports. The parents have been consulted and we have not had any church/scouting conflict objections. This obviously may not work for many units. For two-day outings such as canoe trips, we have scheduled the trips so that parents and scouts with conflicts can join us after the sporting event. My sons are very sports-focused, and they and I have been the late joiners more than once. By not having to make the choice between sports and scouts, more kids will remain in and participate in scouts. And by being able to participate on some weekends in both sports and scouting, I find them more likely to skip an occasional game when the scout event so requires.

Sorry about getting side tracked on the Laser tag thing. Here are some comments back on target.

Here is what we do in my son's troop where I am one of two ASMs assigned to the New Scout Patrols.

1. At crossover the boys receive

Red Shoulder Tabs

Troop Numerals

Troop Neckerchief

Boy Scout Neckerchief Slide

(we encourage the Packs to give a Boy Scout Handbook)

2. At their first troop meeting they

Selected a Patrol Name

Elected the first month's Patrol Leader

Completed The requirements for Scout Badge

Recieved their Scout Badge

3. 1 week later was their first campout where they

Completed Tote'n'Chip

Made their own 8' length of rope on a rope machine

Learned how to whip rope

Had their first cooking lesson

Took their first scout hike

4. Last troop meeting we held troop elections and they were assigned their Troop Guides and recieved their Patrol medallions

5. Next week is their first Court of Honor where their families will be welcomed into the troop, they will be recognized again for earning the Scout Badge. Their parents will recieve a special award for attending their first campout.

(by the way 3 of the dads signed on as Assistant Scoutmasters during the campout. We will swear in the Patrol Leader and Assistant and present them their badge of office.

6. The following week is a meeting with the new scouts, and their parents, where we will teach them about packing for a campout and how to select and purchase camping gear.

7. Then for the next year the Troop Guides, with our supervision, will pick a skill or two each month and work with the scouts with a plan to complete First Class by the end of the first year.

We have found that with this level of activity and frequent rewards that the boys stay very active and keep excellent attendance. In the last several years I have only had one scout quit before the end of the year.

Hope this helps, Happy Scouting,

Bob

Just a quick note on laser tag. Our troop has done this several times. We do have one boy who is sensitive to the laser lights and it can cause sezures. Also the room to which we go into for the game of tag is very dusty and can trigger breathing problems. Be aware of your scouts medical problems.

Many moons ago, we used to play capture the flag outside with flashlights for lasers. It is even better to play at night without flashlights - you get tagged and your out - the slowest and quietest scout usually wins - had one boy climb a tree until everyone but one other kid was dead and he came back down and calmly walked over to the other flag and picked it up.