Quick Start for New Scouts

Good News! I just got word that my troop is having 6-7 new Scouts cross over on March 3. The best part is that they chose us over the "glamour" troop in our area (the first time we've ever won a head to head recruiting battle with them). I'm excited because the kids and parents seem to be very high quality and are really excited to join. My troop is going to use a climbing wall at a local camping store for our meeting next Monday, so a couple of them are getting their first activity before they actually cross over.

Now, to my real question. What sort of things would be good to do with them the first month or so they are in the troop to keep from losing any right off the bat? They cross over on March 3. We have a COH on March 11, so we will probably be planning for that on March 4 (the new Scouts will probably be having their first SM conferences since they have all earned their AOL and can get the Boy Scout rank at the first COH). However, for the rest of March, I want to lock them in before baseball and soccer start up in April.

Any suggestions?

Do you have a campout planned for March? The troop we are joining has a campout in Mid-March that the new scouts will go on and work on their Tenderfoot requirements.

Just so happens that the council merit badge day is at the end of March also. The scoutmaster is recommending the new scouts attend the First Aid class that day.

If you can't camp, can you set up a all day outdoor event for a Saturday? Chance to work on Tenderfoot and Second Class requirements --and do some of the fun outdoor stuff.

We have 11 boys that crossed over this month too. Having them start attending the troop meetings before they even crossover is a great idea. Our boys decided on their respective troops in December and the crossover was on Feb 10th, but they all started attending the troop meetings at the beginning of January.

We were lucky enough to have a council run Klondike Derby that they could all get involved with. The troop had 3 sleds, one with older boys (they took 1st place for the 4th year in a row), and the other two with the new scouts with 2 or 3 older scouts to lead the younger guys (they took 6th & 10th place -- awesome!)

I'd suggest a campout as an outing in March. It will get you a chance to have them learn some of the Tenderfoot skills and what boy involved in scouts isn't excited by going camping. Seeing as these are new scouts, they probably haven't had much experience with winter camping so you might look for someplace that has cabins (depending on what part of the country you are from). Either way, March shouldn't have too extreme temperatures or weather conditions, but remember, safety first. You can have the older scouts teach them how to prepare for a winter outing as the theme of the meetings leading up to the campout.

sctmom reminded me of another possibility. Our troop did this as a Webelos recruiting activity, but it works well as a troop meeting or Saturday outing event as well.

This was completely run by the older scouts and was held during a normal troop meeting. Webelos from all of the local packs were invited. They called it 'Operation Night Light'. The older scouts each paired up and setup different stations to teach Tenderfoot skills. The stations that were represented were firebuilding (really popular since this was being held outside in the month of December), cooking skills (they cooked eggs & hamburgers inside an orange peel on a grill), knot tying (including a tug-o-war), survival skills (making a stretcher, a lean-to shelter, etc.).

At your March campout, have the older scouts set up a axe yard and have the new scouts earn their Totin chip. Scouts and knives :) there is nothing better!

And do not forget the fire chit, scouts and fire :)

An orienting course has also been a hit with younger scouts.

Our troop has had good success with a First years week-end. It starts on Sat morning where an older scout goes over the criteria for selecting a campsite, then the kids pitch their tent. After that, another older scouts go over the oath and law with them until they can recite it ( the new kids). Then they cook themselves lunch. The afternoon has a round robin of stations such as fire building, knots, toten chip and compass. Then they make dinner. After dinner its free time until a campfire and lights out. On sunday morning they cook berak fast and we leave. Quite a number of requirements may be met on this week end and the kids love to see the initials grow on the sign off page. We take a minimal "training staff" of older scouts to guide the new guys, but let the new guys flounder a bit as well. The new kids love being on their own and when they camp with the whole troop they know they can set up a tent and cook a meal.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

JOTT 2002 is May 11th, new scouts like to know that they are part of a worldwide brotherhood. Each unit plans its own event to take part in the Jamboree of the Trail. This event was started in Canada and each year they pick a scout designed patch for the event. You can buy the patches for $1.50 each at their website- www.jott.org

JOTT 2002 is May 11th, new scouts like to know that they are part of a worldwide brotherhood. Each unit plans its own event to take part in the Jamboree of the Trail. This event was started in Canada and each year they pick a scout designed patch for the event. You can buy the patches for $1.50 each at their website- www.jott.org

In addition to all of the suggestions above that fit the traditional mode, don't be afraid to venture a bit outside the box. We have a number of Webelos whom we are recruiting this year who will cross over in late March. Just prior to their decision time, we have an overnight Lazertag night scheduled. This was not planned for the Webelos, but the scouts just wanted to try it. My kids' church youth group had done one, so my sons suggested it at a PLC meeting, and we went with it. A little different, but when I recently asked one of our parents, who is also involved at the pack the Webelos are in, how he thought we would do this year in recruiting, his answer was that it may well depend on how well the Lazertag goes. Although we have a strong traditional program, a little variety can help.

I also have heard lasertag is "illegal," but do not have any policies to point to either. In the past, however, our troop has met as a "group of friends" to do these activities.

Sometimes our troop holds a giant capture the flag night, for two or three hours. No Scout skills, but a lot of fun and food. A good start for new Scouts.

Our Troop typically has a campout right after Crossovers are finished and our new Scouts are aboard - usually comes out pretty well. The bonus comes from your present Scouts having to relearn and practice their skills to avoid being shown up!

One of our best PLCs involved planning this campout; coming up with the various activity stations and discussing the Patrols responsible, breaking out the tasks and equipment required to pull it off. Older and younger Scouts working together as equals; each knowing what was appropriate and when to stretch out some.

The execution phase will be an additional hurdle, but with the current attitude should be no trouble...

Almost brought tears to my eyes; when it works it really works!

Also, don't forget to continuing "selling" the parents on Scouting. I"m seeing a lot of Webelos dropping out right before we are going to Boy Scouts. These boys were always excited at all our Pack activities, really wanted to go camping, but the parents never even attempted to go camping, the parents give off lots of signals of "this is not important". The Scoutmaster said he has seen it over and over. With just a little encouargement from the parents, the boys will stick around. An 11 year old can't drive himself to the meeting and they do pick up on the parent's attitude very quickly -- whether good or bad.

Make sure people are talking to the adults, encourage them to stay and watch, have someone explaining to them what is going on and what it teaches the boy, somebody pointing to a kid and saying "a year ago he could not get up front and speak to the group, look at him now running the meeting." Stress how Scouts is as important as school and sports. Maybe some of the scouts could make it a point to speak to the new parents-- just a simple "thanks for coming by, do you have any questions of me?" goes a long way.