Are Bears Attracted To ??

Crew is preparing for Philmont trek. Discussion turns to Bears and bear bags and such. One of the adult leaders (the only one so concerned), has said he will smoke his Havanas on the trek.

Question is, are tobacco products "Bear Attractants" and as such need to be isolated and "bagged" at night?

Food, grease, soap, toothpaste, perfume (?), deoderant (!), candy, candles, mosquito repellant, stogies, chaw,,,,,,

If the bear has been habituated to humans as a source of food (eating our stuff - not us), then anything that smells like humans smells like a potential food source.

Black bears are generally shy and timid. I've shooed lots of them off by clapping my hands and saying "Get!" at them.

This will make them a little less scary for you:

If you see a grizzly, be afraid.(This message has been edited by BSA24)

More importantly:

Health and Safety Guide, Section E

Drug, Alcohol, and Tobacco Use and Abuse

The Boy Scouts of America prohibits the use of alcoholic beverages and controlled substances at encampments or activities on property owned and/or operated by the Boy Scouts of America, or at any activity involving participation of youth members.

Adult leaders should support the attitude that young adults are better off without tobacco and may not allow the use of tobacco products at any BSA activity involving youth participants.

All Scouting functions, meetings, and activities should be conducted on a smoke-free basis, with smoking areas located away from all participants.

...He's just gonna have to suck it up, and be a good role model for his troop. It will be impossible to hide the odor of smoke from his youth, they WILL know what he's up to.

You might want to recommend he 'wear the patch' for that week.

chocolate hot cheetohs soda video games legos

repellents:

soap hot water girls kisses

Oh, wait--I thought you meant Cub Scout Bears. :)

My DH says a bear can be attracted to anything--they might just be curious or they may know that if they find "that smell", there is food there. Best bet is to bag everything.(This message has been edited by ccbytrickery)

Tobacco is not banned on BSA properties. Using it in front of the youth is.

From Scouting.org:

> Tobacco

> All Scouting functions, meetings, and

> activities should be conducted on a

> smoke-free basis, with smoking areas

> located away from all participants.

Never met a ranger that didn't smoke on BSA property out of site of the youth all day long.

You are correct that adults will smell tobacco smoke on the leaders. That's an issue for the conscience of the smoker.

Relevant: http://www.scouter.com/forums/viewThread.asp?threadID=285265

You're restating what I copied directly from the Health and Safety guide. (You read it right?)

Again, It's his choice as to what kind of role model he wants to be. That is a reflection on his honor.

...adults will smell tobacco smoke on the leaders...

Actually, so will the youth. Almost guaranteed at least one of them has smelled cigar smoke before and will recongize it. I don't smoke, but I'm not a fanatic about the whole "don't smoke around kids" notion. Frankly, the reason I'm not and have never been, never would be, a smoker is probably because my parents smoked around me when I was a kid. I hated the smell of it. It never held any mystical alure to me because I knew it stunk.

Any, y'know who else will smell the tabacco smoke besides the adults and the youths? The bears... which raises a question I've always had about bear bags.

Lip balm, bug spray, sunscreen, deodorant - all those are "smellables" that go into the bear bag and not into your tent. Now, besides going into the bear bag, what else to they all have in common? Right, they go on your skin! So, if you put those things on you, shouldn't you then stuff yourself into the bear bag and haul yourself up a tree?

Does anyone have an explanation for why half a can of bug spray in your tent will attract a bear, but the other half sprayed on your arms and legs wont?

Favorite parts of my 1st grizzly bear training

- #1 Bears will run away from noise. Consider wearing bear bells.

- #2 Watch for droppings. You're around grizzly bears if you see droppings with bear bells in them.

Fred those droppings will also taste like pepper spray :).

A grizzly encountering a smoker: "mmmmmmm...bar-b-cue..."

Edit: FYI, I've used a small hand-held marine air horn with good results...so far. I think there's not an animal on earth that likes that sound.

So Fred, tell me what their scat is going to 'sound' like after they eat me....;)(This message has been edited by packsaddle)

>>You're restating what I copied directly from the Health and Safety guide. (You read it right?)

Again, It's his choice as to what kind of role model he wants to be. That is a reflection on his honor.

Eagledad, I was charged by a black bear once while collecting in the Smokies. So I vacated my collecting gear. The bear got a snoot full of preservative fluid (mix of iodine, acetic acid, formaldehyde). Bet he'll never do THAT again. I could hear him snorting as he wandered away (in disgust, no doubt, about my 'taste' in beverages).

After spending years camping in the woods, having encounters with bears, and as any ranger will tell you there is no one size fits all model in dealing with those critters. The only surefire thing is make sure that there is a tall tree nearby and that you can climb it faster and higher than the bear. We have had bears wander into camp during mealtime and even when we made loud noises and banged pots and pans the old guy just stood up and growled as we quickly backed away and left dinner for him. He ate his fill, left the camp a mess, and wandered back in the direction he came from.

Over time I have seen bears eat and enjoy all kinds of food including chips and soda, and have never seen them attracted or repelled by tobacco. In my experience never confront or try to scare any bear, unless you are backed into a corner with no where to go, and then hope and pray to whatever supreme diety you believe in to get you out of that mess unharmed.

Any out of the ordinary -for the bear - scent may attract a bear

From Montana Fish & Wildlife

"For example, basically all food items are bear attractants, but beyond food the list includes: trash, recyclables, toiletries, first aid kits, pet food, window cleaner, baby wipes, scented tissue, air freshener, soda cans, bottled beverages, canned food, coolers (full or empty), mosquito repellant, deodorant, lipstick, tobacco products, and any other product with a scent.

Do not store any of these or similar items in your sleeping area. Any one of them may serve as a bear attractant.

Here are other recommendations for managing bear attractants in camp:

Do not keep any food in sleeping or working areas.

Do not keep any personal hygiene products in your sleeping tents. (toothpaste, soaps, deodorants, shampoos, tooth brushes)

Maintain a separate area for cooking and food storage. Store personal hygiene products in the food storage area.

Attempt to produce few leftovers or food wastes.

Attempt to reduce food odors, try and take low odor foods with you in the field. Freeze-dried foods have very little odor.

Use leftovers as soon as possible. Store all leftovers for a short time and use sealed airtight containers.

Grease is very attractive to bears. Attempt to cook non-greasy foods as much as possible. Wash off the stove, tables, and barbeques after every meal to reduce odors. Burn greases in a hot fire or reuse it right away. Store grease in an airtight container.

Incinerate garbage daily, or remove it from camp daily. Burying the garbage will not eliminate the odors. Bears dig up buried garbage. Greasy dishwater can be dumped in a pit dug away from camp. Treat the pit with lime or bleach to mask odors.

Keep the camp and surrounding area clear of litter.

Keep your packs, sleeping tents, sleeping bags and clothes free of food odors.

Avoid cooking foods with strong odorsbacon for example.

Wear a hat or kerchief while cooking so your hair will not pick up food odors.

Change your clothes after cooking. Do not sleep in the same clothes you wore to cook in. These clothes should be stored away from the sleeping tent.

Wash cooking utensils immediately after use.

Store all food and leftovers in bear resistant containers if possible, or elevated in a food cache.

If you do not have bear resistant containers, store food in sealable plastic bags.

Place food in a large bag and suspend well out of reach in trees, at least four feet out from the tree and 10 up.

If you cannot burn your garbage, bag it up in sealed containers and suspend it from a tree. Garbage should be dealt with daily do not let garbage accumulate in your camp.

Latrines should be treated frequently with lime to reduce odors. Human waste is considered food by a bear. "

Any scented or flavored tobacco will probably attract. On the other hand, if you smell like a forest fire, then maybe not

"Smoking and the use of tobacco products by anyone under age 18 is illegal in the state of New Mexico, and Philmont strongly discourages the use of tobacco products by anyone. All buildings, tents, and vehicles at Philmont are smoke-free. There are designated smoking areas for those who smoke."

Philmont's smoking policy.

Don't be surprised if the guide tells everyone that there will be no smoking on the trek.

There have been 3 black bear attacks of campers in Arizona in the last few weeks...all in the same area.

All of the attacks have happened while the camper has been sleeping. The most recent is last Friday, the victim is recovering after extensive surgery.

Two bears have been killed, DNA confirmation is pending.

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2012/06/25/20120625bears-arizona-attacks-hunted-killed-arbk.html