For Scout Troops Or Venturing Crews who want a real off trail adventure, consider Washington State's Ptarmigan Traverse.

Plan to have some good route finding and climbing skills. This is NOT a BSA High Adventure/Disneyland style of outing.

This was actually pioneered by some ex Scouts decades ago.

http://www.summitpost.org/ptarmigan-traverse/154644

SP,

Thanks for sharing the link. Took a small crew on a 6 day trek in the North Cascades several years ago. We did the Crater Mountain-Jackita Ridge loop counter-clockwise. Stunning scenery--saw only two other parties the entire time.

With the demise of the High Adventure Base at Camp Sheppard, I don't see much of an effort on the part of the Chief Seattle Council to offer rugged skill-based experiences via another venue. Sadder still (to me, at any rate) is that relatively few youth are interested. Perhaps the market just isn't there to warrant the effort.

Still hope to haul my sorry carcass up to Sahale Arm one day. though.

The Old Goat

There are some real adventures available in the North Cascades!

Was your trek done in conjunction with the Camp Sheppard program? I know that was there, but I'd never paid too much attention to just what kinds of things they did.

It was a "DIY" outing. During the time that I was an active adult scouter, I encouraged multi-day trekking in addition to unit camping during the summer. I had the skills and experience and there were places I wanted to see, so I must confess that these treks were largely adult conceived/spear-headed/etc. Not sure I would have attempted the Ptarmigan, though!

I wrote up trek journals--they can be viewed at www.troop101-wa.org

Always struggled with the boy-led versus adult-inspired quandary. Still, I think we had a blast.

Camp Sheppard offered some incredible outings--from guided treks on the Pacific Crest Trail, to mountaineering skills culminating in summit attempts on Mt. Baker, Rainier and others, plus the addition of a downhill mountain biking program. I was stunned to hear the program had closed--something to do with lease agreement with the Forest Service, I was told.