Off Season Use of Council Camps

What are your council camps used for when not being used for summer camp? And more specifically:

(1) Do units use them for weekend camping and activities? Why or why not?

(2) Do outside/non-Scouting organizations use them for activities or events?

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

My troop camps at least once a year at the council camp independent of summer camp/district/council activities.

We've camped in the wild area of the camp (no designated camp sites), as well as in the campsite across the road from the showers. As a troop, we've swam, canoed and used the rifle/shotgun ranges.

My council has three properties with a variety of facilities, and all are used fairly heavily year round.

Camp #1 is located within the council boundaries, in what is now a fairly suburban area that's an easy drive for the majority of the council. It also has several heated buildings with nice cooking facilities, a fire bowl, facilities for archery and BB guns, and tent camping areas. It's used very heavily for training programs, Cub camp programs, camporees, and other district and council events, as well units camping. The buildings mean that it's used year round, and it's usually booked pretty solid up to a year or more in advance.

Camp #2 is located outside the council boundaries, probably a 1-2 hour drive from most of the council. Facilities are more primitive (but there's plans for some improvements), but there's a lot of acreage. It's probably less popular than Camp #1, but still fairly heavily used for camporees, training and unit camping.

Camp #3 is the council's full-service summer camp. It's located well outside the council boundaries (3-4 hour drive), so it's not heavily used for weekend camping in the off season. It is, however, located within a short drive of several skiing/snowboarding facilities - so during the winter, it's used as a "base" for troops doing skiing/snowboarding. So it's packed pretty solid during the winter, but probably less so during the spring and fall.

I don't think any of our camps are very heavily used by non-Scouting groups, though I know some do make use of some of the properties - mostly during the week, to keep them open for Scout camping on the weekends.

We use ours fairly frequently. It's a Scout Reservation with three distinct camps and tons of backcountry areas. Last year, we ran our own summer camp program for our 12 scouts. Just last weekend, we introduced several young scouts to backpacking by hiking the 10 mile perimeter trail for two days. There were lots of scouts at camp but they were there for three large organized activities, not just individual units camping. Sadly, we saw no one on the trails, which was sad because they were great and challenging hikes.

Site rental is only $33 for the weekend so it's a pretty good deal.

I should add that tent camping is only $0.50/person/night - maybe not the absolute cheapest around, but still very reasonable. Building rental is obviously more - depending on the building, could be anywhere from $50 to $300 for a weekend. Couldn't imagine paying $150 for two nights of tent camping, unless other facilities or program is included in that figure.

Yes, ours get used off-season. The districts hold their camporees there. Units use them from time to time. Our pack has camped there a couple of times, but I don't think our troop has. The OA Ordeal is held there. Wood Badge is held there. Training programs (IOLS, BALOO) are held there.

Other groups are able to use the facilities as well, for a rental fee. I don't know what the usage looks like, but I do have the impression that there is some.

The camp where we hold summer camp is used regularly by units, Districts and the training committee. Once we complete our short summer camp season, we rent the camp the the YMCA. Units can camp there and use the ranges, COPE/climbing and swimming pool; however, they must have the proper training and the ranges & COPE/climbing require Council level volunteers that are certified to operate those programs.

We have a large number of camps, which our council markets aggressively.

Prices vary. Our boys love 'em, so we go. Some of them do have good hill top locations for star gazing (not so easy to find nowadays). Prices are competitive with state parks in the area. The one is in ski country, and accommodations are really nice, so our VOA holds a winter getaway weekend there. Council camporees and Area Venturing Summits are hosted there as well.

Non-scouting organizations use them. My son's freshman class used the cope course at one camp.

Still, IMHO, nothing beats making friends with a local farmer.

Pine Tree Council has four camp properties. All are used off-season to one extent or another. Cost varies depending on what part of the property you use. The current rates sheet is at:

http://www.pinetreebsa.org/camping/shortterm/welcome.htm

In addition to the above, Camp Hinds is home to the council's winter camping weekends, aka "Okpik" and also host a week long winter camp (like summer camp, but in the snow!) during February school break. Scouts stay in the training center (see the rate sheet above) most of the week, but work on winter badges. Weather permitting, they learn how to build snow shelters and camp in the snow.

It's also not unusual for a district to put one of the camps to use for a district camporee. We're doing a joint one with our neighboring district at Camp Bomazeen this weekend.(This message has been edited by moxieman)

1 yes

2 no

We and many other troops use the camps during the off season. As we attend summer camp, the cost is zero dollars. If we didn't attend a council camp, there is a modest cost, about what we would pay at a state park.

Ive heard of weddings at camps, and some ROTC units renting the camps, but that is rare.

The Old North State Council has 4 camps. The main Boy Scout camp where summer camp is held, Cherokee, is used by troops during the off season. Woodfield is primarily a Cub Scout camp used for the different cub o Rees and Webelos Resident Camp...packs use the bb gun and archery ranges at different times during the year.....packs camp there too. There is a primitive area that Boy Scouts use. We have a sea base located on a lake and it is used quite a bit......we also have a camp on an island in another lake. I think all of the camps are used by our troops, crews, and packs to a large extent.....not sure sure about other groups.