Looking for a 50 Mile Hike on the AT in North Carolina

We have been looking at doing a 50 miler on the Appalacian Trial in North Carolina. We prefer to stay on the North end of North Carolina and are considering hiking south from Fontana Dam to US 64 (~56 miles). Anyone familar with this section of trail that can offer guidance?

Anyone wish to suggest a better 50 miler in Nouth Carolina. Our group size is 12-14 and most are older scouts 15-16 years old.

Thx for putting the outing in scouting...

Please do me a favor and review trail etiquette with your group. I believe your group size is a bit to large....

I did from ammicola falls to neels last fall and hope to do that stretch this fall, probably do neels to fontanna.

The section doesn't appear too difficult....but how fit are your scouts???? The thing to remember is to keep your milage kinda low and your pace slow for the first couple of days.(This message has been edited by Basementdweller)

I did that section last year (along with the rest of the trail, GA - ME). I think you made a good choice to stay out of GSMNP. You need reservations at shelters and they discourage tenting unless the shelters are full.

I would recommend buying the AT Guide book by David Miller to help your scouts plan their hike.

To plan parking and trail access check out this site: http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

There's some nice scenery through that stretch, Siler Bald, Wayah Bald, Wesser Bald and you pass through the Nantahala Outdoor Center. There are fairly steep climbs up and down out of NOC. You can ship a food drop to NOC which is about your half way point. Then you won't have to carry more than 3 - 4 days of food. Plus there's a nice store there where your guys can buy snacks and sodas.

How many miles per day do you expect to hike? I'm thinking for scouts maybe 7 or 8.

I recommend you have your guys go as light as possible to make the hike enjoyable. I can point you to some references for that to help you. I'm going through that with my Philmont crew now.

If you need more info PM me.

Did it both directions over the years. I was up near that section a couple of weeks ago and it's already getting too hot and crowded for my taste. I prefer the dead of January. So make sure you plan for water access and potential problems. As already said, it's a really nice section of trail. I hope it's not too crowded...hope you don't add too much to the crowd. This time of year, some places take on the aura of a refugee camp in the evening. Me, I'll take January.

You might need one more day hiking. Depends on how close a drive it is, how early you can start and how late on the last day you can hike.

How much hiking have your guys done? Best way to turn a new kid off to hiking is to push them too far with too much weight.

Also weather (hot or heavy rain) will slow you down so don't plan your time too tight.

This goes way back (fall '72 as I recall), but as a young Scout, we drove down from SW Ohio and hiked a section along the TN/NC border, in the area of the Pisgah National Forest. I'm pretty sure we ended in Hot Springs. An older crew of Scouts from our troop, back from a Philmont trip two months earlier, hiked to Hot Springs from the other direction.

That was my first backpacking trip, and I was young. It rained a lot, but I don't really recall it being particularly strenuous. I do remember things like spectacular views, old barns and pasture fences. That sort of thing.

Guy

One other distinct memory of that fall '72 trip. We arrived, late one night, and hiked in to our first campsite from a gap. It was dark. We arrived at a lean-to where one other hiker had already settled in.

This was long before I knew what a thru-hiker was, and I image that he was one. He said that he'd been on the trail for awhile, and hadn't kept up with news, so he had no idea about Nixon's presidential run (re-elected, of course, less than a month later).

I can also imagine that since he was the only person at this campsite, he wasn't too pleased to have a 12-person or so Boy Scout group interrupt his serenity.

Guy

I was always quite happy to see a group of scouts while I was on my thru-hike last year. I would usually visit and tell stories of my adventure, they seemed fascinated and had lots of questions.

But that was me, many of the others did not like scouts. Too many kids, too noisy, stayed up too late, took over the entire shelter, no supervision and made a mess of the camping area were just some of the complaints I heard.

Someone else bringing up the shelters reminded me. It is courtesy for groups to leave the shelters to though and section hikers. Bring your own tents, most shelter areas have room for tents. The other hikers will appreciate it and most of the shelters are mouse infested anyway!

Our numbers have dropped some so we will be at or very close to 10 people.

We will take our tents. I have never stayed in a shelter nor have I ever had the desire too.

The meal plans I have some concern over. I am ok with letting scouts arrange their own menus for a 2-3 day hike. But this is six days and if they don't plan right either enough or too much they could be a drag on the group. I am considering that they submit a plan for 3000 calories a day. Thoughts?

I like the idea of having a food drop at the Nantnahala Outdoor Conservatory.

My experience generally on the trail.....I did not hike during Thru hiker season, so these were not those folks, but general folks who like the outdoors...

Most people hiking the trail do not like to see a group of scouts, period. WE have a huge PR problem......Blame it on a couple of bad troops or elitist attitudes on the part of the other hikers.

Boys will be boys for cryin out loud they will play and be loud.

My experiences were generally positive with scouts on the trail.....But group size and shelter utilization where the two biggest issues.

So one of my recommendations is do not camp at or use the shelters.... The second is keep your group size to 10 or less.

But your not going to take these and do what you want......so this is just me preaching to empty pews