Best sleeping pad for old geezers?

I've moved to a hammock as well. My kids and I are using ENO DoubleNest Hammocks (www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com) with a cheap blue tarp strung above. Very comfortable. This system is my preference unless there are no trees or it's very buggy. Easy to set up and take down, and no worries about rocky, uneven, or wet ground. I take my hammock to summer camp too so I have a great napping site!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I checked. My new thermarest is 2inch thick Trailpro. I've had no complaints.

And made in USA!

OK, so I understand that sleeping diagonally in the hammock is flater and better for old spines....

But doesn't it still sort of wrap around you folding shoulders together, preventing rolling over in the night, etc?

I'm a side sleeper so i wonder how well they would work for me?

Also wondering if anyone has tried one of these hennesee hamocks (or similar) with some sort of portable stand

similar to one of these

http://compare.ebay.com/like/200735787862?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

A lot of state parks have restrictions about tieing anything to trees...

Hammocks do prevent rolling over, primarily because of comfort. I'm a side sleeper in a bed, but a back sleeper in a hammock. The hammock doesn't really wrap around you, if you've hung it right. See the hammock sites I linked earlier. They explain in more detail, and with more points of view.

• 2 months later...

Ok. So after much research and trying the feel of various things I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Hennessey hammock.

The only concern I have is that besides being old and creaky I am also cold. And cold is one of the things that hammocks seem to not do well, but there are various ways to insulate those. Not an issue for our canoe trip in July, but moreso in fall.

Thoughts on the Hennessey and the cold question?

Ah the cold question...that is an issue. I do several things:

1. I hang it low to the ground when it is cold so my bottom is less than 6" when I am hanging. I use the tarp slung real low or use a big tarp to (a) create a micro-climate and (b)block any air flow.

2. I use an underquilt system which helps some.

3. Dress warmly and not leave any bare skin in contact with hammock skin. I find hat real important.

4. I may throw a cheap blue pad or two under me and while awkward it helps a lot.

5. I will pick a site within a bunch of trees rather than the edge; it really can stay warmer--micro-climate again.

Sometimes I still use my little old Apex tent when it is going to be close to freezing. I have slept pretty cold at times--"travel light, freeze at night".

It takes a bot of tinkering which can be fun with the right attitude. I have been pretty satisfied with the Hennessy.

Hammockforum is great for stuff like this.

What I have found in the forums and elsewhere is general consensus on the following points:

-Hammocks without insulation systems are good to about 45 degrees.

-Sleeping bags don't provide much insulation on the bottom regardless of their temperature rating because you are compressing the bag, plus the airflow. (Plus they're hard to get into in the hammock and many people simply use a blanket.)

So, the problem is that a lot of the tent camping we would do will be in the 40s. Even our "spring" campout in May was to near freezing at night.

It's one thing to wake up stiff and sore, but it's another to not be able to sleep because you are cold, so I do have a real concern about this type of system for me.

By the time I get into buying underquilt systems or oversized pads to put inside the hammock...maybe it's not worth it.

Im going to go the other way...I think that reducing weight in your pack with a closed cell foam pad is key plus its awesome for being able to sit on to eat lunch or to sit on around the campfire with enough room to share a seat with a friend. If you need an inflatable the Thermarest Neo air smallest at 9 oz is a good one my son has 2 yrs on his and no leaks http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/thermarest_neoair_prolite_deluxe_le_mats.html