Ok folks this may have been posted already, but as I mentioned in another thread I am in a lazy mood since I am off for the next 4 days.

Where is a good place to find carbon, stressing CARBON, steel knives? I need to buy three of them for my boys, and if reasonable a fourth one for me. :)

I know if I buy one thing for my oldest son, the younger two will expect the same thing. So I would like to get three identical knives now.

Why carbon steel? I'm an old fogey and prefer the ability to keep a sharp edge than a rust proof knife that you have to sharpen after every 4 or 5 cuts.

A sharp knife is a safe knife. :)

Thanks in advance.

Finding them in retail stores is very difficult unless you seek out high end stores. Stainless steel seems to be the preferred blade for whatever reason.

I have been able to find plenty of older blades on E-Bay including the old BSA camp and whittler knives. That's where I always start.

Many of them have stained blades, but like you said, they are the best on holding an edge. I have an old whittler in my pocket right now. Looks like crap, but it's my best knife. I have a newer whittler that looks really nice and shiny, but it sits in my dresser drawer right now.

My whittler has the Camillus New York blade.

Stosh(This message has been edited by jblake47)

jblake beat me to the Camillus comment. I really like mine as well. But I'm partial to the 'stockman' style with three blades and a bit larger than the Camillus that I have. You can find this style in carbon steel fairly easily.

Here's a source with a decent selection: http://kennesawcutlery.com/Folding-Knives/Stockman-Knives

The ones by Boker are decent, I have one of those as well.

It's easy to tell the difference between carbon and stainless at a glance. My favorite is a really old Kabar. But those are mostly long gone now.

And I wouldn't throw off on all the blades from other countries. Yes, some of them are poorly made using inferior materials...but if you're careful there are some good ones out there as well. You DO need to be able to tell the difference.

Eagle92, check out the Great Eastern Cutlery family of knives...they can be pricey but they are high quality, American made, well designed, and most if not all are 1095 carbon steel. They develop superb patina over time and sharpen nicely always. I'm partial to the jack and stockman models.