Philmont Itinerary selected

AK-Eagle, Congratulations, you're in for a treat. What's your previous Philmont experience?

Of course they change the itineraries on a regular basis, so let us know the camp list and I'll give you some real input.

608 is a real early number, half the staff won't even be to their first days off when you arrive. Nice thing is everyone is fresh and you tend to have less rain early in the summer. June has nice long days so you'll get more evening program.

Last time I was in Philmont was June 1980 crew #617 on a less rugged trek, seems like a lifetime ago.

The camp list is;

HQ

House Canyon

Old Camp

Ponil

Pueblano

Black Horse (layover)

New Dean

Harlan

Cimarroncito

Upper Clarks fork

HQ via Tooth of time

Thanks for the help

AK-Eagle

Well as you might guess, I'm happy that you're going to Cito. I see they advertise the rock gym. I know 3 of us built one in 1996 in the upper cabin, but not sure if this is a revised version.

A lot of trail camps there and the more rugged North Country. I assume that the layover is to give you a chance to climb Baldy. I don't remember House Canyon, not sure it was there before, but I know the six mile gate.

I think that the hike in from the Tooth is the way that all treks should end. In my summer as field supervisor in 1999 I staked a good section of the new trail. Its 8%, but can feel like a long walk when everyone is ready for civilization.

It looks like you have to check out the Burro's at Pueblano. But I'm not a burro guy, I'd rather just haul my stuff. We managed to skip them a couple times.

Your one dry camp is the first one, so you can haul in that water pretty easy.

Let me know any questions as you get to thinking about it, I'm sure you've got some.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are on Trek 28, which is kind of 26 in the opposite direction, with different camps. 83 miles, starting at Zastrow and ending at Six Mile Gate. South to north. Crew 612.

Camps:

Rimrock Park

Urraca

Miners Park (side hike Tooth of Time)

Clarks Fork

Devils Wash Basin

Santa Claus

Ewells Park (layover, hike Baldy)

Flume Canyon

Indian Writings

We are heading out a few days early, to do some of the typical site seeing - Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, Sky Sox baseball game. We were also lucky enough to time the trip to see a concert at Red Rocks - Big Head Todd & The Monsters with The Barenaked Ladies. The boys will be working on their Music Merit Badge. :-)