Hi all - I am looking at planning a trip for summer 2013 to the Grand Canyon.

The focus of the trip will be on scouts who are 1st or 2nd year scouts. I am looking for activities that will challenge them without overwhelming them.

I certainly want to activities to push them beyond what they are used to participating in with the Cub Pack. But I need to keep in mind that they are not experienced campers and that physically they are 11/12 years old. This impacts both their strength and their endurance.

If anyone who has ideas or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate your sharing. Also, cost cutting ideas would be welcome as well.

Thanks - Reaseyann

Consider hiking into the Havasupai Indian Reservation. See the link to their web site below.

http://www.havasupaitribe.com/

The hardest part of the trek is coming back out. If you are concerned about the loads that the boys might be carrying you should be able to hire pack horses from the Indians.

This is one of the most beautiful spots in the American Southwest. Your boys will love it.

Thanks - I've been looking at the hike here - the waterfalls look amazing , but I'm thinking the hike may be a bit much for newbies. What about camping out between the hike in and the hike out - would this give them more gas to make it or are we still overshooting their abilities?

BTW E61 - I am not a hiker so I have no idea what that means. Could you explain please?

Good to know, and thanks for being honest about your ablities as a hiker... again, for that age group, and and for you, hiking down into the canyon is a bad ideal.

Grand Canyon Council is an excellent resource with their Trails Award Program. Not only does their manual describe the different trails, but there are corresponding patches and segments to document your hikes.

http://www.grandcanyonbsa.org/openrosters/view_homepage.asp?orgkey=62

I'm one of our troop & crew's high adventure & camping coordinators, and was at Grand Canyon last week for a family vacation. I agree with one of the posters that you should focus on hikes along the rim for inexperienced 1st and 2nd year scouts. You could do a day hike down and back to the 1.5 mile "hut" on the Bright Lights trail, which will give them a taste of a little more difficult trail without making it too hard. BRING WATER BOTTLES (1-2 L each minimum). Even if it's not too hot along the rim, the air is dry. Also, when planning distances for hiking, remember that the elevation along the rim will be a factor in how far they can go (unless you live in a location at elevation).

Have fun!

Got it - so no hiking in at all (or at least only to the "hut" described). That's a real shame, because I really wanted to see those waterfalls. ): I did read that you could helicopter in, but I don't see that happening.

Thanks for the link about Grand Canyon Council. I will check them out today.

So what else should I make sure we see/do? I've never been here as an adult so I don't want us to miss anything important.(This message has been edited by Reaseyann)

"BTW E61 - I am not a hiker so I have no idea what that means. Could you explain please? "

At higher elevations, you don't get as much oxygen per breath. Your endurance will drop significantly if you aren't acclimated to the altitude. So you have to lighten the load.

My first experience with this was in Colorado Springs years ago....was there on an interview, walking the local mall in the evening. Went up two flights of stairs and nearly passed out.

If you have newbies and are not acclimated...I'd say stay on the rim.

Hiking into Havasupai and out in the same day is not the trek I had in mind. I don't know where you are coming from, but I have been there twice, driving over from Southern California. We drove to the trail head, parked and camped overnight at the top of the trail. We then hiked in to the campground in one day. We stayed at the campground two nights to give time to check out the waterfalls go swimming and the like. We hiked back out on the third day.

Except for the first mile or so which is straight up and down, this is not a demanding hike. Younger scouts can do it. I don't know what the age mix of your group really is, but if you are concerned about the abilities of your hikers, you can have gear packed in and out by the indians.

This is a much shorter hike than trying to get to the bottom of the Grand Canyon along say, the Bright Angel Trail. There is a five thousand foot difference in elevation there. The change in elevation into and out of Havasupai is more likely around two thousand feet.

We are coming from Louisiana so we will probably spend a good week in the area. I want to try a good mix of activities - not all hiking so I know I don't want to hike all the way into the canyon. I thought a smaller hike like to the falls might be doable if I broke it up, but will defer to those with more experience. The trip is being planned for scouts who are 11/12 (ie too young for our Troop's Sea Base trip)

I would also like to do a great mule ride (can't go to the Grand Canyon without that one) - the Hoover Dam - and any other important sites.

I checked out a couple of mule rides, but the ones I checked on seemed to be through forest so... not what I imagined. I'll keep scouring the internet and keep checking back here for more ideas.

And thanks for the links - I can't find the trail guide on the council website, but got lots of cool info from the others. Oh - what about a river ride? Not a big full on paddling trip - just see what's there and give the boys a taste.

Can you make it up to Zion National Park and/or Bryce Canyon National Park in far southern Utah while you are there? Both are really beautiful, and have lots of beautiful hiking opportunities from easy to difficult. They are only hours from the southern rim of Grand Canyon.

ahhhh....okay..

You'll go through Flagstaff on the way to the canyon. In Flagstaff, across the tracks from the Amtrak are two youth hostels. Good place for your crew to hang their hat, get a shower, etc. Much, much cheaper than a motel. Plenty of places to eat, and places to pick up any last minute supplies before heading to the canyon

If you got the time, maybe a visit to Walnut Canyon, or drop down and for a visit to Oak Creek Canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/waca/index.htm

Will you be flying in or driving in?

I probably can make you a pretty good itinerary if you are flying into phoenix and driving up. I've acted as tour guide on that quite a bit, would need to tweak it to accomodate camping at all turns instead of hotel or family stays, eh?

Hiking can be done at the canyon, hike down a trail from 8-11 stop for lunch and figure if you hike down for 3 hours it will take you 6 hours to get out. a bit less with kids if you've been doing hiking in the prior months so everyone is in shape. carry water of course, sunscreen! hats!

I've NEVER done mule rides. I've seen too many mules pass by me while hiking the canyon to EVER want to go on a mule ride. They get too close to the edge for my liking even if they do have 4 feet.

Stay at a campground on the rim or a ways away. we usually stay at one on the rim for 1-2 nights with the an all day hiking experience. you don't really appreciate the canyon until you've walked down into it a bit.

You'll probably have to drive too far to get to somewhere you can get in that river to paddle and have it be an easy go for young scouts.

Hiking the peaks, or riding the ski lift to the top in the summer where there is still snow is nice to do, show everyone that Arizona does have winter.

Sunset crater is also a nice trip, with a visit to the lava caves.

Kids would love a visit to slide rock in Sedona to get wet and play in the water. There are campgrounds and some nice hikes in that area like the west fork of oak creek.

We always try to hit Montezumas castle and Montezumas well, to get a view of indian ruins.

AZ has soooo much you can do depending on which way you want to head around the canyon.